Middlesbrough Herald & Post

Bilic ‘didn’t want to lose Randolph’

-

WEST Ham manager Slaven Bilic insists he didn’t want £5m Boro new boy Darren Randolph to leave.

Middlesbro­ugh made their sixth signing of the summer at the weekend when the Irish internatio­nal keeper put pen to paper on a four-year contract after completing a medical and agreeing personal terms at Rockliffe Park.

Speaking to the Hammers website, Bilic said: “I would like to thank Darren for his service to the club over the past two years. He has been a fantastic profession­al and, as a player and a person, has the respect of everyone at West Ham.

“Darren is a very good goalkeeper, and I didn’t want him to leave. However, I could not guarantee him regular first team football and, with the possibilit­y of playing at the World Cup for the Republic of Ireland next summer, he wanted to take up the offer from Middlesbro­ugh.

“We didn’t think it was right to deny him this opportunit­y to establish himself as a No1 playing every week in the Championsh­ip, but I am sorry to see him go and I wish him all the very best in the future.”

Randolph is set to make his Boro debut in Saturday’s friendly against German club Augsburg at the Riverside.

“I’m delighted to get it all signed and completed,” he told www.mfc.co.uk.

“Arriving here and seeing the facilities, it’s definitely a Premier League club. I want to come here and get the club back to where it belongs and be part of something special.”

Randolph’s arrival capped a busy 24-hour period for Boro, who on Friday last week confirmed that striker Cristhian Stuani had joined Girona.

Since the summer window opened for business, Monk has added Jonny Howson, Cyrus Christie, Martin Braithwait­e, Connor Roberts, Britt Assombalon­ga and Randolph to his first team squad. Roberts and Braithwait­e made their Boro debuts against Rochdale at Spotland on Saturday.

 ??  ?? Darren Randolph
Darren Randolph

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom