Fight­back bid falls short for Lit­tle­bor­ough

Middleton Guardian - - BYGONE DAYS -

LIT­TLE­BOR­OUGH RUFC came up short on Satur­day as they were beaten at home by lo­cal ri­vals Old­ham RUFC.

It was a snowy Satur­day af­ter­noon and the game started with Old­ham play­ing from left to right and im­me­di­ately put Boro on the back foot with some quick ball play and con­stant pres­sure in at­tack.

This re­sulted in the first try of the match af­ter only five min­utes, which they also con­verted for a seven points early lead.

This was not the Lit­tle­bor­ough team that had won their last two matches and looked to be on a re­vival, and for the rest of the first half they were con­stantly un­der at­tack and only got out of their own half twice, but in do­ing so they got close to their op­po­nent’s try line but on each oc­ca­sion the ref­eree awarded the visi­tors a free kick and they took play back to­wards Boro’s half.

Lit­tle­bor­ough’s Jack Whit­tles then put in a good at­tack­ing run and Chris Hough un­for­tu­nately failed a penalty kick con­ver­sion.

This was fol­lowed by Henry Ash­worth suf­fer­ing a neck in­jury, who even­tu­ally had to leave the field of play and was re­placed by Colt player Mathew Hay­den.

Al­most at the end of the first half the away side’s left winger looked to be off on a run­away try but for­tu­nately for Boro he was caught be­fore he reached the try-line and the half-time whis­tle went with the score 7-0 to Old­ham.

At the be­gin­ning of the sec­ond half it was Boro who started to dom­i­nate and be­gan their points cam­paign with a suc­cess­ful penalty by Hough.

Un­for­tu­nately it wasn’t long be­fore the visi­tors can­celled that out with their sec­ond try of the day, but there was still no con­ver­sion.

How­ever, Boro were still de­ter­mined to turn things around and that they did with a fine try of their own from Ed­ward Chad­wick but no con­ver­sion to re­duce the deficit to 12-8.

This was now look­ing more pos­i­tive for Boro, es­pe­cially as they were en­joy­ing more of the game but dis­as­ter loomed and low and be­hold the next score was a fur­ther try, not for Lit­tle­bor­ough but for Old­ham, pour­ing more bad luck on the home side.

As the end of the match was ap­proach­ing Boro still kept press­ing and it is to their credit that their re­vival in the sec­ond half con­tin­ued and at the end they got their deserved re­ward with a fur­ther try from that pro­lific scorer of tries, Mathew Goldthorpe, which was con­verted by young Ge­orge Roberts, to al­most level the score.

It was great fight back in the sec­ond half by Boro but they nar­rowly missed out, with the team suf­fer­ing a 17-15 de­feat to Old­ham.

Barry Hob­son

David Kearns makes an early break up the left wing against Old­ham

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.