Dom­i­nant Dale

Middleton Guardian - - LEISURE -

SKY BET LEAGUE ONE SCUN­THORPE .................. 1 ROCHDALE ...................... 1

ROCHDALE will be frus­trated not to have come away with a first win at Glan­ford Park since 1999 af­ter a hard-fought match against Scun­thorpe United ended 1-1.

Keith Hill made five changes from Tues­day night’s 2-0 loss to Fleetwood Town, look­ing to ex­ploit the flanks with an ex­pan­sive 5-3-2 for­ma­tion.

Sam Hart, mak­ing his full de­but, and Joe Raf­ferty came into a five­man de­fence at the ex­pense of Ryan De­laney and Scott Wise­man, while Oliver Rath­bone and Brad­den In­man re­placed the in­jured Andy Can­non and Stephen Humphrys to join Cal­lum Camps in a mid­field three.

The fi­nal change saw Calvin An­drew re­turn from in­jury to lead the line at the ex­pense of Billy Knott, with Ian Hen­der­son in sup­port.

The home side nearly took the lead within three min­utes when Josh Mor­ris dragged his low ef­fort wide of Josh Lil­lis’ net af­ter a Har­ri­son McGa­hey mis­kick.

Rochdale, mean­while, of­fered lit­tle at first but grew into the match once they be­gan to play the ball out from de­fence to Camps, who be­gan to dic­tate the tempo of the game from deep-ly­ing mid­field.

One of his through balls found In­man in be­hind the Iron de­fence on ten min­utes, but his first-time lob over the on­rush­ing Matt Gilks was a lit­tle too high to break the dead­lock.

Rochdale con­tin­ued to dom­i­nate the mid­field bat­tle, In­man play­ing in a more ad­vanced role while Camps and the tena­cious Rath­bone sat deep and picked up the scraps.

Scun­thorpe re­mained in the game though as Mur­ray Wal­lace burst down the left, his cross hav­ing just too much on it for Ivan Toney to make con­tact at the back post.

The dead­lock was even­tu­ally bro­ken on 20 min­utes when Camps’ spec­u­la­tive ef­fort on the edge of the box fol­low­ing a corner nes­tled into the bottom left of an un­sighted Gilks’ net.

The goal was just re­wards for Dale’s num­ber 10, who was the first half’s stand­out player.

Per­haps Scun­thorpe’s best chance of the open­ing 45 min­utes came when Funso Ojo and Duane Holmes com­bined to force a smart save from Lil­lis.

But Rochdale should have dou­bled their lead be­fore the break when In­man failed to con­nect with a Calvin An­drew knock­down be­fore Rath­bone shinned his fol­lowup ef­fort wide from a good po­si­tion.

De­spite Dale’s first half dom­i­nance, Scun­thorpe im­proved af­ter the break hav­ing changed their shape and were level within five min­utes when Toney re­acted quick­est to head in from a corner.

De­spite the Iron’s im­prove­ments, Rochdale were far from on the back foot and were just the width of the post away from tak­ing the lead once more be­fore the hour mark.

A free-kick was launched in from the left by Camps and Sam Hart was un­for­tu­nate to see his pow­er­ful header come back off the wood­work.

At the other end, McGa­hey had to be on hand to pre­vent a Holmes cut back from find­ing Toney be­fore, from the re­sult­ing corner, Scun­thorpe cen­tre back Cameron Burgess missed from close range.

With an end-to-end game begin­ning to drop in qual­ity, Rochdale’s mid­field three be­came stretched and their in­flu­ence waned. Keith Hill con­se­quently brought off Rath­bone, who had in­jured his groin, for Wise­man, drop­ping

Cal­lum Camps’ pass­ing dic­tated the tempo of the game

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.