Boro fail to make good on prom­ise of first half come­back

Middleton Guardian - - LEISURE -


LIT­TLE­BOR­OUGH RUFC came up short on Satur­day af­ter they were de­feated away from home against Hawcoat Park RUFC.

Hav­ing made the long jour­ney up to Cum­bria the weather and play­ing con­di­tions were good, but the re­sult for Boro wasn’t to be.

The hosts went in front just two min­utes from kick-off, cross­ing the line for the first of what would turn out to be four tries through­out the af­ter­noon.

Af­ter ini­tially go­ing be­hind, Boro made a good im­pact with a nice break by young stand off Ge­orge Roberts but then Hawcoat Park took over again and ran in their se­cond try, all within the space of five min­utes.

Once again Boro ap­plied pres­sure from the kick off but the home side re­ceived the ball and sim­ply kicked back into Lit­tle­bor­ough’s half where Henry Ash­worth gath­ered and made an ef­fec­tive break.

Pres­sure in the Hawcoat Park 15 me­tres area saw Ge­orge Roberts this time mak­ing an ef­fec­tive break, which was fol­lowed with a great try by Jack Whit­tles, with Roberts adding the con­ver­sion, to re­duce the deficit to 10-7.

This now looked bet­ter for Boro un­til Hawcoat Park re­ceived a penalty which they con­verted. Still de­ter­mined, Boro ap­plied fur­ther pres­sure from scrum half Chris Kol­buck, fol­lowed with a great break as ever from Matthew Goldthorpe and topped with an­other burst from try scorer Whit­tles up to Hawcoat Park’s five me­tres line, but the hosts once again kicked the ball well down field into Lit­tle­bor­ough’s half.

Boro put in yet an­other great at­tack­ing run from that man Goldthorpe, who ran a good 25 me­tres burst­ing past the op­po­si­tion de­fence and his side fol­lowed that up with sim­ple pass­ing rugby for Whit­tles to cross the line for his se­cond try of the af­ter­noon, mak­ing the half-time score 13-12, prov­ing there was noth­ing in it at this point.

Re­flect­ing on the first half no­body would have guessed the out­come of the se­cond half as Boro had fought back and prac­ti­cally got back on level terms but un­for­tu­nately for them things sud­denly went sour.

Player changes were made by Boro but it was their op­po­nents who were ap­ply­ing con­stant pres­sure and it wasn’t long be­fore they crossed the line again for their third try, un­con­verted but still mean­ing they stretched their lead to 18-12, just when it seemed Lit­tle­bor­ough would have been the team to have taken the lead from their per­for­mance in the first half.

Try as they might, Boro could not match their first half per­for­mance, although full-back Chris Park con­stantly joined the Boro back­line in an at­tempt to set them on the front foot and winger David Kearns looked like he had made an open­ing for him­self but was brought down.

The game con­tin­ued in Hawcoat Park’s favour with them at­tain­ing an­other con­verted try and two more penal­ties, while Lit­tle­bor­ough scored one more con­verted try.

It was rather a dis­ap­point­ing fin­ish for Boro who had promised much in the first half but just couldn’t de­liver in the se­cond, mean­ing they lost 31-19.

Danny Lawlor on the way to his first try for Lit­tle­bor­ough sec­onds

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.