Wick in the dark about U21s snub
ONE TO WATCH: Gary Cahill says Kane is a real handful
The 21-year-old is just starting to rediscover last season’s form, most recently in last week’s Europa League exit to Dynamo Kiev.
But the Toffees boss is keen for the youngster to have a good rest.
“What Ross brings is the bigger the occasion, the bigger the performance and the bigger the response,” said Martinez. CONNOR WICKHAM says he’s clueless about his England Under-21 snub.
Sunderland’s £7million striker was a regular under former boss Stuart Pearce, but hasn’t had a look-in under Gareth Southgate.
Wickham again misses out for the friendly doubleheader against the Czech Republic in Prague on Friday, and Germany at Middlesbrough’s Riverside on Monday as the Young Lions build up to this summer’s European Championships.
The 21-year-old hasn’t even been put on standby, despite three of the four strikers named in the squad pulling out through injury, with Southgate instead calling up Cauley Woodrow from Fulham as cover. It’s now almost two years since his last England appearance, and Wickham said: “I don’t understand the situation. I’ve not spoken to anyone in the England set-up.”
Wickham scored in the 6-0 rout of Scotland U21s in August 2013.
He withdrew from Southgate’s first squad later that season, and hasn’t figured since – but he insisted: “I’ll never say no to my country.”