Pigeon poo linked to child’s hospital death
AN infection linked to pigeon droppings was a “contributing factor” in the death of a child at a Glasgow hospital, it has been confirmed.
Scotland’s health secretary Jeane Freeman ordered a review of the design of the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital after the deaths of two patients.
The hospital has put infection control measures in place and officials insist it is safe for patients and visitors.
Two patients who had died at the hospital had contracted a cryptococcal fungal infection which is linked to pigeon droppings.
Ms Freeman said one of the patients was elderly and had died from an unrelated cause, but that the bacteria had been a “contributing factor” in the death of a child.
The likely source of the infection has been traced to a 12th floor room.