‘When he of his Capone

Midweek Sport - - NEWS -

most in­fa­mous mob hit, which would come to be known as the St Valen­tine’s Day Mas­sacre.

The hit had been care­fully planned and ex­e­cuted by no­to­ri­ous mob­ster Capone, to elim­i­nate a ri­val gang boss, Ge­orge “Bugs” Mo­ran.

Bugs was a boot­leg­ger and ri­val of Capone’s, who dis­trib­uted his il­le­gal liquor from a ware­house on Chicago’s North Side.

Though no one was ever con­victed of the crime, the con­sen­sus is that Capone or­ches­trated it to sim­ply get Bugs out of his way.

Mo­ran had been work­ing on procur­ing a ship­ment of stolen Cana­dian whiskey, an en­ter­prise which Capone was al­ready heav­ily in­vested in. THIS month marks the 90th an­niver­sary of his­tory’s most fa­mous mob hit – the St Valen­tine’s Day mas­sacre.

Seven men were gunned down in broad day­light af­ter be­ing lured to a garage in Chicago’s North Side ex­pect­ing to take part in a boot­leg­ging deal.

In­stead, they were found ly­ing on the garage’s blood-soaked floor side by side, vic­tims of a ruth­less bat­tle be­tween two gangs.

Leg­endary gang­ster Al Capone has al­ways been as­sumed to have been be­hind the slaugh­ter of seven ri­vals, but to this day no one has ever ac­tu­ally claimed re­spon­si­bil­ity.

Those who believe Capone or­ches­trated the mur­ders point out that the two mob bosses had had plenty of run-ins in the past over ter­ri­tory dis­putes and Bugs’ de­ter­mi­na­tion to take over Capone’s sup­pli­ers.

The the­ory is that Capone lured Bugs to a ware­house, un­der the guise of ready­ing a car to drive to Canada, and hit his ri­val be­fore he knew what hap­pened.

Around 10.30am on that Fe­bru­ary day, four men raided Bugs’ Lin­coln Park ware­house.

Two were dressed as po­lice of­fi­cers and armed with CAGED: Capone was held in the in­fa­mous Al­ca­traz max­i­mum se­cu­rity prison sub­ma­chine guns, the other two wore suits, ties, over­coats and hats.

In­side the ware­house were five of Bugs’ men, along with two car me­chan­ics.

The last to ar­rive was Al­bert Wein­shank, whose ar­rival sig­nalled to the armed men to carry out the raid.

As Wein­shank ex­ited his Cadil­lac on the street and made his way into the ware­house, he was ac­costed by two po­lice of­fi­cers, who forced him in­side.

Be­liev­ing he and his fel­low gang­sters were be­ing ar­rested, they lined up against the wall, their backs to the po­lice, all re­main­ing silent so as not to out their boss.

As soon as the men were in line, the po­lice of­fi­cers sig­nalled to the two plain­clothes men wait­ing out­side, armed with the sub­ma­chine guns.

Be­fore Bugs’ men knew what hit them, the armed men opened fire, emp­ty­ing an en­tire 20-round box mag­a­zine and a 50-round drum into the men.

They con­tin­ued shoot­ing even af­ter all seven men had hit the floor.

The men dressed as of­fi­cers then es­corted the as­sas­sins out of the build­ing, un­der the guise of ar­rest­ing them.

They then fled the scene, re­main­ing uniden­ti­fied to this day.

All seven of Bugs’ men

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.