Charles slides in late to res­cue a point for the Sand­grounders

Midweek Visiter - - Sport - SOUTH­PORT ............................. 2 CUR­ZON ASHTON ................... 2

DION CHARLES equalised with 10 min­utes re­main­ing to earn South­port a draw at home to Cur­zon Ashton last Tues­day evening.

The Sand­grounders had taken an early lead through cap­tain David Mor­gan, only to con­cede twice in the space of six sec­ond half min­utes. But Charles slid the ball home in the clos­ing stages to en­sure the spoils were shared al­though the home team were un­able to find a win­ner.

South­port can cer­tainly re­flect on an im­proved per­for­mance from the week­end de­feat against Blyth Spar­tans.

Again Liam Wat­son’s team started strongly, Port’s skip­per scor­ing on 14 min­utes and the Sand­grounders cre­ated sev­eral chances.

The lead should have been greater by the time Cur­zon drew level but South­port dis­played good char­ac­ter to earn a point af­ter fall­ing be­hind.

Mor­gan, whose ap­point­ment as cap­tain as con­firmed this week, gave the Sand­grounders a de­served lead af­ter a bright open­ing. Jack Samp­son re­leased Charles, who ad­vanced down the right be­fore send­ing a low ball in the area to his skip­per.

The cap­tain took a touch to set him­self, be­fore steer­ing a shot past goal­keeper Cam Ma­son.

At that stage, the home team clearly had the up­per hand. A cor­ner from Brad Bau­ress was met by Josh Lan­g­ley, al­low­ing Ja­son Gilchrist to get a shot away but his ef­fort was de­flected over. Samp­son and Charles also had chances, while a num­ber of open­ings were cre­ated by Port, only for the fi­nal ball to be lack­ing.

The Sand­grounders also started the sec­ond half well but Cur­zon soon found their way back into the con­test.

A cross from Con­nor Hughes drifted onto the cross­bar, be­fore the re­bound fell to Adam Mor­gan, whose shot at the far post was stopped by goal­keeper Dan Han­ford.

Ol­lie Crankshaw equalised for Cur­zon on 66 min­utes, latch­ing onto a through-ball from mid­field, and the vis­i­tors went ahead when Ryan Brooke scored from close-range af­ter a high ball into the area.

Gilchrist dragged an an­gled shot wide as South­port looked to re­gain par­ity, which was achieved when Charles cut in from the right be­fore steer­ing a shot in­side the near post.

David Mor­gan al­most found a win­ner in stop­page time but goal­keeper Ma­son punched away his dip­ping shot from 25 yards. SOUTH­PORT: Han­ford, Richards, Lan­g­ley (Pri­est­ley 90), Win­nard, Ogle, Charles, Mor­gan, Wood, Bau­ress (Hom­son-Smith 90), Gilchrist, Samp­son. Subs (not used): Tib­bets, Mueller, Green. CUR­ZON ASHTON: Ma­son, Bail­lie (Ali 58), Hunt, Shaw, McJan­nett, Crankshaw (Khoury 90), Guest, Rowney, Hughes, Brooke, Mor­gan (Cum­mins 88). Subs (not used): Fawns, Wall. AT­TEN­DANCE: 580 REF­EREE: Nat Cox (Lan­cashire)

Si­mon Mar­shall

Dion Charles net­ted a late lev­eller last Tues­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.