Brace yourself for the quiz of the year 2018!
Q1. The first storm of the year in the UK took place between January 2 and 4 causing widespread disruption, with flooding and gusts of wind reaching 100 mph. What was it called?
2. Which two retail giants went into administration on February 28?
3. What are the names of the former Russian double agent and his daughter who were poisoned with nerve agent in Salisbury on March 4?
4. The world lost a genius on March 14 when which world-renowned theoretical physicist, author, and cosmologist, died at his home in Cambridge, aged 76?
5. On April 3 it was announced that London had a higher rate of what than New York?
6. On April 19 Theresa May announced a ban on which two items in England to aid conservation?
7. On April 23 Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge gave birth to a baby boy at St Mary’s Hospital, London who becomes fifth in line to the throne. What is his name?
8. On May 19 whose wedding took place at St George’s Chapel, Windsor, with an estimated global audience of 1.9bn?
9. On the same day who won the FA Cup, beating Manchester United 1–0?
10. Which animated film set a box office record for an animated release, earning $180m its opening weekend in June?
11. On July 8 who resigned as Brexit secretary?
12. On September 2 a huge fire damaged part of which famous landmark in Liverpool?
13. On October 27 Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, the owner of which football club, was killed when his helicopter crashed shortly after taking off from the pitch?
14. On November 11 why were church bells heard ringing throughout the country?
15. On November 28 whose analysis predicted that, in the aftermath of a no-deal Brexit, the UK economy would shrink by 8%, house prices would plunge by almost a third, while the pound could fall by a quarter?
16. What is the Oxford Living Dictionary’s word of the year?
1. Storm Eleanor 2. Toys “R” Us and Maplin 3. Sergei and Yulia Skripal 4. Stephen Hawking 5. Murders 6. Plastic straws and cotton buds 7. Louis Arthur Charles 8. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 9. Chelsea F.C. 10. The Incredibles 2. 11. David Davis 12. The Littlewoods Pools building. 13. Leicester City 14. To mark the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War 15. The Bank of England 16. Toxic
Age Concern Liverpool & Sefton would like to wish all of our readers a happy and peaceful Christmas.
Part of the sand dunes on Formby beach swept away by a storm: see Q1