Port en­joy more home com­forts

Midweek Visiter - - Visiter Sport - BY ALAN JONES SOUTH­PORT: Han­ford, Richards, Ed­wards, As­tles, Win­nard, Morgan, Wood, Charles, Gilchrist (Parry, 73), Bau­ress (Green, 73), Samp­son. Subs (not used): Hom­son-Smith, Archer, Mo­hammed. AL­FRE­TON TOWN: Rams­bot­tom, Clifton, Shiels, Curry, Wilde,

HAV­ING been made to wait for a league win at home, it is a mark of the progress South­port con­tinue to make that they should regis­ter two in the space of four days.

Last Satur­day’s vic­tory against Al­fre­ton Town ex­tended the Port’s un­beaten run in the Vanarama Na­tional League North to eight games in­clud­ing six vic­to­ries and the gath­er­ing sense of mo­men­tum keeps on grow­ing.

Ja­son Gilchrist and Jack Samp­son struck dur­ing a dom­i­nant first half and al­though there were mo­ments when South­port had to dig deep once Reece Sty­che’s penalty had re­duced their lead, this will go down as an­other con­clu­sive all-round show­ing.

The con­test was only 80 sec­onds old when Gilchrist opened the scor­ing and that gave the Port the plat­form to pro­duce a firsthalf per­for­mance of con­fi­dent, co­he­sive foot­ball. The lead should have been greater at half­time such was the ex­tent of South­port’s con­trol and the num­ber of chances cre­ated but in the end their two goals were enough.

Dur­ing their cur­rent un­beaten se­quence, Liam Wat­son’s team have found the net 20 times, reg­is­ter­ing some im­pres­sive wins to con­tinue their climb up the ta­ble.

South­port could not have asked for a quicker start, Gilchrist steer­ing the ball home from close range af­ter Ryan As­tles had touched on a free-kick from team­mate Dion Charles.

Hav­ing come straight out of the blocks, the Port con­trolled the open­ing pe­riod and they cre­ated chances at will.

David Morgan and Jor­dan Richards both went close be­fore Mar­cus Wood shaved the cross­bar with a shot from dis­tance.

Man-of-the-match Samp­son added the home team’s sec­ond goal shortly be­fore half-time.

The as­sist came from goal­keeper Dan Han­ford, whose kick up field was read by Samp­son be­fore it bounced and the striker hooked the ball in.

Sty­che pulled a goal back for the vis­i­tors nine min­utes af­ter the in­ter­val, drilling home a penalty af­ter Richard Peniket was tripped by As­tles.

Dean Win­nard shot over from in­side the area, a dip­ping vol­ley from Morgan went just wide, and hav­ing set up South­port’s sec­ond goal, goal­keeper Han­ford went on to make two more de­ci­sive con­tri­bu­tions. He back-ped­alled to turn over Josh Wilde’s lofted free-kick be­fore dis­play­ing his agility again in stop­page-time to keep out a header from Peniket.

A busy fes­tive pe­riod con­tin­ues this week start­ing with a trip to Ch­ester FC to­day (kick-off 3pm) and on this form the Sand­grounders will rel­ish their next chal­lenges.

Jan Kruger

South­port’s Jack Samp­son (right) in ac­tion against Tran­mere’s Con­nor Jen­nings dur­ing the teams’ FA Cup clash last month was the Sand­grounders’ man-of-the-match in last Satur­day’s vic­tory over Al­fre­ton Town.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.