1. SKETCHING IDEAS
Prior to any construction commencing, I sketched up a number of rough plans which were based on a 1/35th scale resin and vacuum-formed plastic kit that I saw on the internet. The white on black sketch was produced using a Pilot 0.7 white ink, drawing pen on a Daler Rowney artist’s sketch book.
2. CORE CONSTRUCTION
Rather than hunt for something of exactly the right size and shape I decided to build the core of the windmill from scratch. Construction started with corrugated cardboard cut into strips and rolled into a tube shape which was then glued together with my hot glue gun. The core tube was 85mm tall and 75mm diameter.
3. TAPERING THE CORE
More strips of corrugated cardboard were wrapped around this core and glued in place with the hot glue gun. The tapered shape was built up from strips of upright corrugated cardboard to produce the basic shape.
4. NEWSPAPER & DOORWAY
The main building was first clad with strips of torn newspaper glued in place with PVA glue and then layers of ready mixed filler and DAS modelling clay were used to smooth out and define the shape. Once the filler and DAS were fully set, I cut out the single doorway and trimmed the edges with more torn newspaper and PVA glue before tidying-up the edges with DAS.
The wooden roof and upper section was constructed using the same techniques: triangles of corrugated cardboard which were glued in place with my hot glue gun and then later covered with yet more torn newspaper and PVA glue.
Construction progressed with the wooden arm (used to turn the windmill into the wind) built from strips of spare, scrap wood which I’d cut from a wooden packing case used to transport fresh fruit. The cladding and door were cut from egg box card and glued in place with a mix of superglue and PVA glue. The egg box card has two distinct surface textures a smooth, machined surface and a more knobbly surface – I apply the card with the knobble surface facing outwards.
The roof tiles were also constructed from egg box card cut into strips and then glued in place with PVA glue. Later on I would further texture the egg box card by storing the card with the back edge or blunt edge of a snap-off bladed knife.
Additional detailing was done with small cubes of thin plastic card, glued in place with superglue.
8. WE ARE SAILING...
The windmill sails were cut from 1m thick black plastic card, textured with a scalpel and sandpaper then glued to plastic card arms. The main bearing was a section of wooden dowel and any gaps were filled with DAS modelling clay. The dowel bearing was then fitted onto a short section of metal rod.
9. DETAIL WORK
I have further textured and detailed the sails with small slivers of plastic card. These items were then ‘sealed’ with some polystyrene tube cement and a thick cement and plastic filler mix. This small European Windmill is 210mm tall (to the top of the tallest sail) and the main building is 150mm tall (to the top of the wooden roof). The windmill is 92mm across the base. The sails are 200mm tall/wide.
Next month it’s paint and finish!