BR 2-6-4T AND GRESLEY COACH TO LOCH TAY
Opened in 1870, the Killin Railway linked Killin to the Callander and Oban line at Killin Junction. Later, the branch was extended to Loch Tay. Often formed of a single coach, the train posed problems at Killin as there was no run-round loop. The coach would be reversed into a siding and the locomotive moved beyond the turnout. The coach would then be run back into the platform under gravity and recoupled.
Latterly the service was operated by a BR Standard ‘4MT’ 2‑6‑4T (often No. 80093, it seems) and a single Thompson non-gangwayed brake coach.
Bachmann produces a BR Standard ‘4MT’ 2‑6‑4T in ‘OO’, Graham Farish covers it in ‘N’ and Tower Brass in ‘O’. Hornby has the Thompson brake in its range.
Killin station and the splendid viaduct over the river Dochart.
Demolished. Loch Tay station is a private residence.
With a 12 ton box van between the engine and the coach, BR Standard ‘4MT’ 2‑6‑4T No. 80126 crosses the road near Killin with the branch train on August 14 1962. COLOUR‑RAIL