Welsh Highland Railway No. 590
Our model is of WDLR No. 590, which was completed on March 1 1917. It was bought by the Welsh Highland Railway in 1923 and ran in North Wales until the WHR went into liquidation in 1937. No. 590 was steamed by the scrap contractors in 1942 but was found to be in such poor condition that it was broken up. The Imperial War Museum has loaned classmate No. 794 to the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway at Porthmadog for it to be restored as No. 590. The condition of Bachmann’s model portrays No. 590 just after its arrival on the WHR. It soon gained the initials ‘WHR’ on the tanks and was painted red in 1934.
1: WHR No. 590 takes on water at Beddgelert, sometime in the 1930s. The Baldwin was preferred for freight duties as it was a rather rough rider. DIGBYDACHSHUND/ALAMY
2: No. 590 at Portmadoc New station, which opened in 1929. Facilities here were basic – a tin shelter and a bench – but it saved the Whr/festiniog money by reducing the number of trains crossing the former Cambrian main line! DIGBYDACHSHUND/ALAMY