Order your ‘USA’ 0-6-0T
Turn to page 12 to view our exclusive range of ‘USA’ 0-6-0Ts.
Built at the Vulcan Ironworks in 1943 as USA Transportation Corps No. 1959, it was in service with SR in June 1947 where it became No. 64. It spent much of its life in and around Southampton docks. At nationalisation, it became No. 30064 but remained on the south coast, apart from a brief spell at the Meldon Quarry in Okehampton to the West of Exeter, when it was needed to cover for repairs to No. 30062. Although No. 30064 remained there idle for the duration, the quarry closed soon after and it was returned to Eastleigh. Despite being noted as dilapidated, and withdrawn in October 1962, it was repainted in green in February 1964, together with No. 30073, and it became a popular choice for railtours in the late 1960s. It was withdrawn on the last day of Southern Region steam, on July 9 1967. It is now part of the collection at the Bluebell Railway.