Install a smoke unit
This is an excellent kit but I wanted it to have functioning securing rings. I cut away the eight non-working rings, leaving small, rectangular holes along the edge of the planks. I soldered a small nickel silver overlapping plate underneath these, into which I drilled a small hole so it could take a brass split pin. I made the small rings from 0.6 nickel silver wire. It was not annealed but simply wound round an appropriate rod/ drill shank to form a coil, then snipped to form individual rings. The final modification was to score the planks with the side of a coarse grade file to simulate wood grain.