My Weekly Special
“WE LOVE WORKING COLLABORATIVELY”
Debbie Blott and Amy Dhala founded Decorbuddi, a collaborative approach to interior design which makes it easier for people to create a home they love to live in
What is the inspiration behind your business?
When I was travelling, I became personally aware of the impact that your home environment has on your well-being. I wanted to make it easier for people to create a home which suits their needs and who they are. When Amy and I met we had a similar vision. There are TV programmes which show people what is possible but not how challenging it can be to do it. So together Amy and I have put all our effort into finding approachable talented people. Our projects can be as small as coming up with a colour scheme for a room to major renovation projects.
How does the service work?
The key thing is that it is a phase-by-phase service. When people move into a new home for example, sometimes it is just about how to get started. The Get Started Package (see right) is £295 for a few hours to help a project get off the ground. The homeowners may just need help with a layout which they can go on to implement themselves or they may need help with colours and so on, in which case we would assist with that.
What have been the projects which you have enjoyed the most recently?
We have had some really fabulous projects. We love the variety, which keeps the level of creativity really high, which is very well supported, as we have such a strong team. Jenny Wood for example just designed a
Victorian Terrace House in
Earlsfield where she implemented the colour schemes and joinery, then there has also recently been an urban apartment in Soho and a listed Georgian House in Brighton.
What are your top 3 tips for creating your dream home?
● When people move into a house, they generally consider the house first but should think about the house in relationship to the outside space before finalising designs. An example of this is when you are going to do a kitchen conversion and would like the table to be positioned to enjoy the garden views.
● Think practically about light, warmth, and comfort in your home when you approach the design and layout, consider how you live your life and structure your property around that.
● Consider your budget carefully and where it will be best spent to give you the best value in relation to how you live.
Get Started Package
Embarking on an interior design project can be a daunting prospect. Sometimes you know what you would like to achieve but you’re not sure where to start or what to make a priority. This totally bespoke and personal service is a great solution in a variety of situations.
Perhaps you are considering how best to reconfigure your space to work more effectively. You may have an area of your home that is rarely used and could be transformed into a media room, ensuite, utility, or home office but you are not sure what is possible.
You might be considering opening up the back of your house or building a garden room but are not sure what is required or where to find the best people to help you turn your ideas into reality.
You may have a variety of elements in several rooms which feel unfinished and just aren’t how you’d like them to be.
Or you simply want a change of colour or to make a few tweaks to transform a tired space into a room you love.
A Buddi will come to your home, get to know you, your style and your budget. You will have a fun and hardworking in depth session, discussing requirements. Your Buddi will share their ideas and experience, and offer practical solutions, and sources, as appropriate, to help you to get your home exactly as you want it.
At the end of the session, you will have had the opportunity to discuss and develop your ideas with an expert, make progress on your project and identify the next steps to achieve your objectives.
Included in this package:
● A consultation with your Decorbuddi at your home (we allow up to 2 hours). New ideas, advice, practical solutions
● Clear direction on how to proceed to achieve your vision
● Follow up access to trade contacts and sources (if applicable)
● “Getting Started” is available as an at home or online service.
● For many people the Get Started session is all the help they need to kick-start their project, for others they would like some additional help. This can be arranged on an hourly basis or as a bespoke proposal, depending on the scope of the project.