Big boost for RGC in time for Pooler test

North Wales Weekly News - - FAMILY NOTICES - BY DAVE JONES [email protected]­ @DaveJDai­lyPost

RGC travel to Pon­ty­pool this Satur­day on the back of a su­perb 25-18 home vic­tory over Cham­pi­onship high-fliers Merthyr last week­end.

Although still eighth in the ta­ble, the Gogs are just four points off a top four spot.

Last Satur­day’s show­down at Parc Eirias saw the hosts start brightly with Tian Loots and Andy Bas­ton both mak­ing some good breaks to the de­light of the home crowd.

The first score went on the board after 18 min­utes when Rho­dri Carl­ton-Jones kicked a penalty.

The vis­i­tors went down to 14 men when Matthew Rhys was yel­low­carded, but they man­aged to open their ac­count with a penalty from Steve Lang.

RGC then cap­i­talised on a mis­take on the Merthyr li­ne­out when Mei Parry picked up the ball and charged from the half-way line break­ing through the tack­les be­fore of­fload­ing to Andy Bas­ton for the try.

The boot of Lang got Merthyr back in the game with a big penalty from dis­tance, but they were not of­fer­ing any­thing at­tack-wise in the first half.

RGC were the team look­ing to run the ball and after another break from Cameron Davies they went close with Maredydd Fran­cis be­ing held up on the line. It was not long be­fore the line was bro­ken when Harri Evans ran in for the score just be­fore half time, mak­ing it 13-6.

The sec­ond half started with an im­pres­sive barn­storm­ing run from Shaun O’Rourke, who could not be stopped as he went over the line.

It looked like RGC had scored the best try of the game when Loots and Huw Grundy com­bined to blast through, but to the sur­prise of the crowd the ref­eree hauled them back for a penalty.

It was another try made out of noth­ing that gave the Gogs the bonus point when Afon Bagshaw kicked on a loose ball and chased it down to go over to the de­light of the Eirias crowd. Carl­ton-Jones added the ex­tras for 25-6.

The ref­eree’s whis­tle was play­ing a ma­jor part for the last 20 min­utes as the penalty count racked up. The home side were be­ing pe­nalised at the break­down on a num­ber of oc­ca­sions which ham­pered their flow.

An­drew Wil­liams was given a yel­low and the vis­i­tors picked up some mo­men­tum with two tries in the last 10 min­utes , but RGC had done more than enough for the win over the 80.

RGC as­sis­tant-coach Josh Leach said: “We were solid in de­fence for 60 min­utes but after be­ing 25-6 up it was dis­ap­point­ing not to close out the game.

“We have to build on this win and tidy up a few more things for the Pon­ty­pool game in­clud­ing what we do with the ball in at­tack.

“That said it was a big win for us to­day and even more pleas­ing to pick up five points.”

RGC (all black) in in­tense ac­tion against Merthyr at Parc Eirias last Satur­day. Pic­ture: STEVE LEWIS

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.