Nottingham Post

Stags held as Hatters close gap at top of the table


LEAGUE Two leaders Mansfield TOWN were held to a 1-1 draw at home by relegation battlers Colchester United.

Harry Anderson gave the U’s a shock early lead before the Stags got themselves level through Lewis Brunt in the second half.

Later on Saturday, Stockport County beat promotion hopefuls MK Dons 5-0 to close within two points of Mansfield with a match in hand.

County struck twice in the space of five minutes through Callum Camps and Paddy Madden before Isaac Olaofe added a third at the end of the first half.

Connor Lemonheigh-evans curled home Stockport’s fourth early in the second half, with substitute Neill Byrne completing the scoring in stoppage time.

Wrexham also made up ground after a 3-1 win away against Grimsby Town left them three points off top spot.

Andrew Cannon put Wrexham in front after only five minutes and then clipped home an angled second before Paul Mullin added a third ahead of the break.

Arthur Gnahoua scored a late consolatio­n for the Mariners, who continue to look over their shoulders.

Play-off hopefuls Crewe Alexandra were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Wimbledon.

John-kymani Gordon had given the Dons an early lead inside two minutes but Rio Adebisi soon had Crewe level.

Barrow beat Newport County 1-0 thanks to a first-half goal from Cole Stockton.

Crawley Town sit seventh after a 3-1 win away against Tranmere Rovers.

The visitors raced into a 2-0 lead after goals from Jeremy Kelly and Jay Williams inside the opening 10 minutes.

Luke Norris pulled a goal back before the break, before Danilo Orsidadomo wrapped up the points with a late third.

Gillingham are just outside the play-off places on goal difference after twice coming from behind to win 3-2 at Morecambe.

Jordan Slew gave the hosts an early lead but Oliver Hawkins soon had the Gills level after 18 minutes.

Charlie Brown put Morecambe back in front just after the hour only for Timothee Dieng to fire in a long-range equaliser with 15 minutes left and Connor Mahoney then struck a late winner.

Sutton United moved off the foot of the table after a 3-1 home win over Accrington Stanley.

Harry Smith put Sutton ahead in the 16th minute, with Charlie Lakin and Adom-malaki also on target in the second half.

Jake Bickerstaf­f scored a late consolatio­n for Stanley in what was John Doolan’s first match in charge as manager following an interim spell.

Forest Green Rovers dropped to the bottom after they were beaten 2-0 at Doncaster Rovers.

Luke Molyneux broke the deadlock in the 62nd minute and a late own goal from defender Richard Keogh settled matters.

Harrogate Town saw off Yorkshire rivals Bradford City 3-0 in front of a record home League crowd of 3,905.

 ?? PIC: RYAN BROWNE/ REX/SHUTTERSTO­CK ?? Lewis Brunt celebrates equalising for Mansfield Town.
PIC: RYAN BROWNE/ REX/SHUTTERSTO­CK Lewis Brunt celebrates equalising for Mansfield Town.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom