Squash salad with spiced lentils
1 HOUR | SERVES 6 | EASY V LC GF green lentils 275g, rinsed and drained walnuts 50g butternut squash 1, peeled, deseeded
and cubed olive oil 3 tbsp onion 1 large, halved and sliced red chilli 1, deseeded and sliced ground cumin 1 tsp ground turmeric 1 tsp paprika 1 tsp
garlic 2 cloves, crushed
chopped tomatoes 400g tin
sugar (any kind) a pinch flat-leaf parsley a large handful, chopped coriander a small handful, finely chopped lemon 1/2, juiced
feta 200g, crumbled crusty bread to serve
• Put the lentils in a large pan, cover with cold water, add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil over a medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
• Meanwhile, dry-toast the walnuts in a small frying pan over a low heat until browned.
• Heat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Arrange the squash cubes on a baking sheet, toss with 2 tbsp of the oil and season. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until tender, turning halfway.
• Heat the remaining oil in a large pan over a low heat. Cook the onion for 5 minutes until soft. Add the chilli, cumin, turmeric, paprika, garlic and a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, sugar, 1/2 the parsley, 1/2 the coriander and a pinch of salt. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring in the cooked lentils for the final 5 minutes of cooking time, to warm through.
• Stir in the roasted squash, the remaining herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
• Crumble over the feta, add the walnuts and serve with plenty of crusty bread, if you like.
PER SERVING 382 KCALS | FAT 19.1G SATURATES 6.1G | CARBS 29.5G | SUGARS 9G FIBRE 9.1G | PROTEIN 18.3G | SALT 0.9G