Get it right: marmalade
Zing up breakfasts and bakes with this foolproof pink grapefruit marmalade. Follow the rules and you’ll get it right every time
Zing up breakfasts and bakes with this foolproof pink grapefruit marmalade
Traditionally, marmalade is made with the intensely zesty, bitter oranges from Seville, which are in season in a brief window from mid-December to mid-February. The rules, however – as with jam-making – remain the same, so feel free to experiment with whatever kind of citrus fruit marmalade you like.
• Cut all the grapefruits in half and squeeze the juice from each through a fine sieve into a bowl and reserve, keeping any pips. Cut the grapefruit halves again into quarters and, if the pith is very thick, carefully remove some until the rind is Ωcm-1cm thick.
Put any trimmed pith and pips into a clean muslin cloth and seal tightly with string or a rubber band to make a bag.
• Slice the remaining grapefruit rind into 1-2mm slices. Put the sliced rind and muslin into a large pan with 1.5 litres of water, bring to the boil and simmer very gently for 2 hours until nearly all of the water has evaporated.
• Remove the muslin bag from the pan and use a pair of tongs to squeeze out the pectin-rich liquid back into the pan with the rind. Put a small clean plate in the freezer.
• Pour the sugars and the reserved grapefruit
juice into the pan and bring back to a gentle simmer to dissolve the sugar. Put a sugar thermometer into the pan, turn up the heat and boil for 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly to avoid it catching, until it reaches 105C.
• Remove the plate from the freezer and spoon a little of the marmalade onto the plate. Gently push the marmalade with the back of a spoon – if it’s at the right setting point, a rippled skin will appear on the top. If no ripple appears, return the plate to the freezer, boil the marmalade for another 5 minutes, then try again. Repeat until necessary.
• Stir the lemon juice through the marmalade and pour into sterilised jars and seal. Will keep in the fridge for 6 months.
PER TBSP 41 KCALS | FAT 0G | SATURATES 0G | CARBS 10.2G SUGARS 10G | FIBRE 0G | PROTEIN 0G | SALT 0G