Rhubarb and ginger cake
1 HOUR + COOLING MINUTES | CUTS INTO 16 | EASY
Bonne Maman rhubarb compote 385g jar plain flour 250g bicarbonate of soda 1Ω tsp ground ginger 1 tsp golden caster sugar 200g soft brown sugar 75g eggs 2 vegetable oil 150ml ICING butter 100g, at room temperature, plus extra for the tin icing sugar 200g vanilla extract 1 tsp
• Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Butter and line the base of a deep 22cm square cake tin.
• Scoop 2 tbsp of rhubarb compote out of the jar and keep aside for later.
• Mix the flour, bicarb and ginger in a bowl. Put the sugars, eggs, oil and remaining compote from the jar in a separate bowl and whisk to combine. Gradually add the dry ingredients, beating until combined.
• Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 40-45 minutes. Keep an eye on it and cover the cake with foil for the final 5-10 minutes if it’s browning too much.
• Cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out the cake onto a wire rack and cool completely.
• To make the icing, beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla and reserved rhubarb compote. Chill until thickened, then spread over the top of the cake. Cut into squares to serve.
PER SERVING 342 KCALS | FAT 15.4G SATURATES 4.1G | CARBS 47.5G | SUGARS 35.3G FIBRE 1.1G | PROTEIN 2.6G | SALT 0.4G