Coat face storm as Tar­leton push on

Ormskirk Advertiser - - Martin Mere - BY JEFF GOR­DON

TAR­LETON were up against Hawcoat Park at Carr Lane on Satur­day and af­ter a heavy de­feat away to Wig­ton last week they knew that a win was ab­so­lutely nec­es­sary if they weren’t to fall to mid-table.

It was Hawcoat Park who started the bet­ter and for the first 10 min­utes Tar­leton couldn’t get con­trol of the ball and when they did get some­thing they gave the ball away.

As frus­trat­ing as this was for both the play­ers and the crowd Tar­leton’s de­fen­sive game was first class and Hawcoat couldn’t cross the white­wash.

On 20 min­utes a good break by the re­turn­ing Ge­orge Skofic saw him through the Hawcoat line and a well-timed pass to Frazer Grieves saw him over the line in the cor­ner to open the score.

This try seemed to set­tle Tar­leton and they con­tin­ued the half play­ing some great at­tack­ing rugby.

Five min­utes later a good run by Jack Skofic and some good in­ter-play with Hugo Cas­tle saw the Hawcoat de­fend­ers chas­ing thin air and a great line by Frazer Grieves saw him re­ceive the ball in space and he charged through to score un­der the posts, he added the con­ver­sion and Tar­leton were 12-0 up.

Tar­leton piled on the pres­sure and another good at­tack was fin­ished off by Frankie Skofic who crossed the line af­ter charg­ing through three Hawcoat de­fend­ers.

The next try came from another good break by Mike Jones who sold an ou­tra­geous dummy to his op­po­site num­ber and broke through the gain line and threw the ball wide to Ai­dan Miller who took two de­fend­ers over the line with him to score another well-struc­tured try, he added the ex­tras and Tar­leton now led 24-0.

Hawcoat Park came back at Tar­leton but messed up an at­tack­ing line out, from the scrum Tar­leton got the ball out along the line quickly and Ge­orge Skofic skipped through the Hawcoat de­fence to score his sec­ond try of the af­ter­noon, this was con­verted by Miller and Tar­leton were coast­ing at 31-0.

Hawcoat hadn’t stopped try­ing though and from another at­tack in­volv­ing at least eight phases they broke through the Tar­leton de­fence to score a con­verted try.

This was the last play of the half and at the change Tar­leton led 31-7.

Park started the half the bet­ter of the two teams but Tar­leton set­tled down to their game plan af­ter 10 min­utes and as Park pressed a Tar­leton foot hacked the ball on and de­spite giv­ing two Park de­fend­ers a five yard start, Frankie Skofic out­paced them to kick the ball through and score a good op­por­tunist try, Ai­den Miller con­verted and a 38-7 lead en­sued.

From the re-start a great piece of in­ter­play be­tween Jack and Frankie Skofic saw them bam­boo­zle the Park de­fend­ers and Frankie crashed over for his hat­trick, Miller again con­verted and 45-7 was now the score.

Park at­tacked again and a high at­tack­ing kick was col­lected by Will Fell who made good yards be­fore pass­ing to Hugo Cas­tle who at first looked as though he had white line fever and was go­ing to go for the glory but Mike Jones was out­side him and his call­ing was even­tu­ally heard and the ball was slipped to him just be­fore Hugo dis­ap­peared un­der a pile of bod­ies and Mike Jones slid in to score for 50-7.

Park came again and a penalty in Tar­leton’s 22 was ad­vanced by 10 yards due to backchat and de­spite com­ing close Park again lost the ball at a cru­cial mo­ment and the ball was hacked out, chased down and col­lected by Ge­orge Skofic who ran in just out of reach of the Hawcoat de­fender to score Tar­leton’s ninth and his third try of the af­ter­noon to make the score 57-7.

Tar­leton pressed again from the restart and al­most made the line but Park held them a yard short on three oc­ca­sions un­til Tom Eck­er­s­ley picked up at the back and he crashed through to score another good try for 62-7.

Tar­leton weren’t fin­ished yet and fol­low­ing an at­tack­ing line out the ball was passed along the back line and de­spite hav­ing a bit of a jug­gle with a greasy ball Jack Clave­ley man­aged to keep hold of it and scored in the cor­ner, the last score of the match was another good con­ver­sion from out wide by Miller which left the fi­nal score at 69-7.

This was a good team dis­play with the only con­cern be­ing the li­ne­out that didn’t func­tion as well as it usu­ally does and the time it took at the start of both halves for Tar­leton to get go­ing.

When they did they played flow­ing 15 man rugby that brought the re­sult and moves them up to within five points of the pro­mo­tion spot.

Tar­leton are on the road again this week when they travel to Bolton and at­tempt to main­tain their push for a top four fin­ish.

The sec­onds had a nar­row 10-9 de­feat at Pen­rith and hope to get back to win­ning ways with a home fix­ture which is also against Bolton RUFC.

Tar­leton Third XV picked up another win at home by 34-12 against Port Sun­light sec­ond team and they travel to Pren­ton next week and will need to have a full squad if they wish to do bet­ter than when they faced them at Carr lane in Septem­ber.

The third Team are in their first year and are al­ways on the look­out for more play­ers, if you fancy a run out please con­tact the club.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.