Fire­fight­ers warn on ‘old-fash­ioned’ chip pans

Ormskirk Advertiser - - Front Page -

FIRE­FIGHT­ERS are warn­ing about the dan­gers of chip pans after a house fire in Skelmers­dale.

Lan­cashire Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice was called after a blaze broke out at 7.30pm on Fri­day at a home in Daniels Lane, Dig­moor.

Al­though the flames had al­ready gone out when fire­fight­ers ar­rived at the scene, the ser­vice is again urg­ing peo­ple to be cau­tious when cook­ing with oil.

Crews used a ther­mal imag­ing cam­era, ven­ti­la­tion unit and some small tools at the in­ci­dent to make the scene safe.

There were no ca­su­al­ties re­ported and crews were in at­ten­dance at the scene for ap­prox­i­mately 20 min­utes.

Ad­vice from the fire ser­vice in­cludes: never fill­ing a pan more than one-third full with oil, us­ing a ther­mostat­con­trolled deep fat fryer to avoid over­heat­ing; and tak­ing pans off heat when dis­tracted or called away from the cooker.

A Lan­cashire Fire and Res­cue spokesman said: “We strongly rec­om­mend that peo­ple do not use the ‘old-fash­ioned’ chip pans and use a deep fat fryer which comes with a built-in ther­mo­stat.

“Also, when cook­ing, to stay with the cook­ing and en­sure that all the hobs are turned off af­ter­wards.”

An unat­tended chip pan in the kitchen can soon be­come an in­ferno. Cook­ing fires ac­count for around half the ac­ci­den­tal fires in the home in Lan­cashire ev­ery year

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.