my VINTAGE WORLD
Tania Fawcett, founder of The Vintage Entertainer, shares her five must-have items for a classic new year’s party
1. New year is all about ending the year on a high and making sure the next one starts with some fun, I like to gather around 12-14 guests – the more the merrier! I start serving drinks with a flourish; vintage barware such as antique glasses, wine coolers or ice buckets looks stunning and always provides a conversation trigger.
2. I keep the lighting low since it immediately makes the room feel special – especially if the party is in your kitchen, which people are normally used to seeing you wash up in. I have a collection of antique and vintage candlesticks and candelabra that I haul out, but I use ribbed candles by Matilda Goad, since they add a contemporary feel.
3. I love recipes from Ottolenghi or Anna Jones, who do amazingly interesting salads. They can be left piled on antique silver-plated platters on a sideboard for people to come up and help themselves. I currently covet an amazing 19th-century Chinese sideboard from The Oscar Collective.
4. I hate it when people get up from the dining table and leave straight away. I want them to relax into the evening and play games or chat; Lorfords Antiques has an amazing range to choose from.
5. Comfortable dining chairs are vital. I would like some mid-century modern ones if possible since they are both comfortable and funky. The Old Cinema always has a great selection.