FISH PIE WITH DUBLINER CHEESE RÖSTI TOPPING
This is the ultimate fish pie – I promise you! The smoky, creamy base of the pie topped with the crispy potato and cheese rösti on top is the perfect texture combination. You can get the base made a day ahead, and then prepare the rösti on the day. Also feel free to swap out the salmon and haddock for any meaty fish that you like and leave out the cheese in the potato rösti if you prefer.
450g floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper
50g aged Dubliner cheese
250g skinless smoked haddock fillet
250g skinless and boneless salmon fillet
100g raw peeled prawns
400ml full-fat milk 1 shallot, peeled and halved
1 bay leaf
1 tsp black peppercorns
75g butter, softened
50g plain flour
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp chopped dill
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6
1. Peel the potatoes, then grate using the large holes on a box grater. Place the grated potatoes in a bowl of cold water to stop them from turning brown. Grate the cheese using the same side of the grater and set aside separately.
2. Place the smoked haddock, salmon and prawns in a saucepan, pour over the milk and drop in the shallot, bay leaf and peppercorns. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, then drain, reserving the poaching milk but discarding the onion, bay leaf and peppercorns. Transfer the fish to a baking dish.
3. Melt 50g of the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook, continuing to stir, until a paste (roux) forms. Then gradually add the reserved fish poaching milk as well as the mustard, whisking constantly, and cook until you have a smooth, thickened sauce. Season with salt and pepper and stir in half the dill, then pour the sauce over the fish.
4. Drain the grated potatoes and pat with a clean teatowel until they are completely dry. Mix the grated potatoes and the remaining dill into the grated cheese and season with salt, then scatter over the fish and the sauce.
5. Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan and brush over the top of the pie to ensure that the top gets really crispy. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is beautifully golden brown. ➤