BANANA BREAD FRENCH TOAST French toast in itself is a decadent brunch, but using banana bread really jazzes up this morning treat. Feel free to use caramel sauce or clear honey instead of maple syrup.
● 280g plain flour
● 1 tsp baking powder
● ¼ tsp salt
● 115g butter
● 150g brown sugar
● 2 eggs, beaten
● 5 ripe, mashed bananas
● 3 eggs
● 3 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
● 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
● 2 tbsp butter
● Icing sugar, for dusting
● Maple syrup, to serve
You will need a 23 x 13cm loaf pan, lightly greased. Preheat an oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ 350°F/gas 4
1. Make the banana bread by combining the flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate medium bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Stir in the eggs one at a time and add the mashed bananas until combined.
2. Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until mixed together. Pour into the prepared loaf pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let cool for 5–10 minutes then turn it out on a wire rack.
3. For the French toast, beat the eggs, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla with a fork in a small-medium bowl. Set aside.
4. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Slice the banana bread into four thick slices. Dip each slice into the egg mixture and place into the hot frying pan.
5. Cook on each side for 1–2 minutes until golden brown. Plate and dust with icing sugar. Serve the toast with a side of maple syrup.