Watt a spe­cial night for Tony

Perthshire Advertiser - - MONDAY’S TV -

‘Watt is love?’ was the chant com­ing from the away sec­tion of the ter­rac­ing at Ber­wick Rangers on Tues­day night.

And Perth fans may well have found the an­swer to that ques­tion af­ter the club’s new sign­ing opened his ac­count in style.

For­ward Tony Watt en­tered the McDiarmid Park en­trance on Mon­day morn­ing but was pitched into friendly ac­tion at Shielfield Park.

Within the first half hour, he had scored one and laid on two as­sists as ram­pant Saints turned up the heat on the home side.

Cap­tain for the evening Liam Craig, David McMillan and sub­sti­tute Kyle McClean were also on tar­get in the fourzip tri­umph.

The game, Saints’ last be­fore com­pet­i­tive ac­tion be­gins, al­lowed boss Tommy Wright to cast an eye over two tri­al­ists.

Goal­keeper Dean Ly­ness played the open­ing 45 min­utes while full-back Mark Rus­sell, for­merly of Mor­ton, looked solid through­out.

Sum­mer sign­ing Drey Wright stepped his per­for­mance up a level from Sun­day’s 2-2 draw with Aberdeen.

He en­joyed play­ing along­side Watt and said: “We got off to a real quick start which was what we wanted to get into our rhythm.

“We got the early goals which set­tled us down but we started with a good tempo and car­ried it on through­out.

“I linked up with Tony quite well on Tues­day and hope­fully we can carry that on through the sea­son.

“He showed his qual­ity with two good as­sists and a goal.

“There’s been new play­ers com­ing in, but we’ve set­tled in re­ally quickly. That bodes well for the fu­ture.

“Ob­vi­ously I came off at half-time but for the 45 min­utes I played we con­trolled the game and cre­ated chances.

“It was a dif­fer­ent stan­dard of op­po­si­tion com­pared to Sun­day but I did feel a lot sharper with my move­ment and qual­ity on the ball.

“I think that is only go­ing to come on with the more min­utes that I get un­der my belt.”

The small band of trav­el­ling Perth sup­port­ers took their place in the sun­shine af­ter mak­ing the two-hour trip south.

They watched with a smile as de­but man Watt nod­ded home a Blair Al­ston cor­ner af­ter only seven min­utes.

Watt’s in­flu­ence in the open­ing stages in­creased mo­ments later when he de­liv­ered a per­fect cross from the right flank.

Strike part­ner McMillan re­mained com­posed to sweep a first time vol­ley be­yond the help­less Sean Bren­nan.

Saints were brim­ming with con­fi­dence but weren’t ready to take their foot off the gas. Wright’s play­ers wanted more and that’s what they got.

Again Watt was the ar­chi­tect. This time he threaded into the path of Craig whose low left-footed strike left the home stop­per with no chance.

Ber­wick were of­fer­ing lit­tle but al­most nabbed them­selves a 26th minute goal.

A com­bi­na­tion of tri­al­ist goal­keeper Ly­ness and de­fender Ja­son Kerr blocked Aaron Mur­rell’s route to net.

But Saints, don­ning their new away kit, hit back in­stantly with tri­al­ist full­back Rus­sell get­ting the ball rolling by slip­ping Craig in.

The ex­pe­ri­enced mid­fielder’s left­sided cross dropped at the back post for Watt who smashed first time on the vol­ley.

But Bren­nan re­acted quickly and

Saints cel­e­brate Tony Watt’s early opener. Pic­ture: Do­minic Gall man­aged to get a hand up to tip over the cross bar.

It was then inches from be­ing four as Wright turned his man and de­liv­ered to the back post. Watt, on the stretch, couldn’t con­nect.

The tempo dropped at the be­gin­ning of the sec­ond half with few clear cut op­por­tu­ni­ties cre­ated.

Young­ster Cammy Bal­lan­tyne was in­tro­duced and like Ali McCann - who played the full game - looked very as­sured on the ball.

Saints did net a fourth in the 68th minute when sub­sti­tutes Cal­lum Hendry and McClean linked up.

The lat­ter’s de­flected strike nes­tled in the bot­tom cor­ner to add gloss to the score­line.

McClean should re­ally have helped him­self to a hat-trick within min­utes. First he latched onto a clever Hendry flick but his low ef­fort was saved by the legs of Bren­nan.

He found him­self through on goal again sec­onds later, go­ing for a dink this time, but the ball drib­bled inches wide.

Winger Wright added: “We’ve all gelled very well. I’ve come in as a bit of an out­sider but it’s a great dress­ing room Tony Watt scored once and pro­vided two as­sists in his 45 min­utes. Pic­ture: Do­minic Gall Ali McCann and Kyle McClean bat­tle well for the ball. Pic­ture: Ian Runci­man and bunch of lads.

“We’re look­ing for­ward to Satur­day, we knew we had to get Tues­day out the way and that was a good run out for us.” SAINTS: Ly­ness (Hurst 45), Com­rie, Rus­sell, Gor­don, Kerr, Wright (McClean 45), McCann, Al­ston, Craig, Watt (Hendry 45), McMillan (Bal­lan­tyne 65). Subs not used: Tanser, Wother­spoon, Scougall, Quigley.

Back in the game

Watt a start

De­fen­sive du­ties

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.