225g self-raising flour
¼ tsp salt
100g Trex, chilled
100g light muscovado sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 ripe bananas, mashed
50g dried apricots, chopped
1-2 tbsp milk
50g icing sugar
A little lemon zest, finely grated
100g cream cheese
A few dried banana chips
3-4 apricots, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm (8in) cake tin.
2. Sift the flour and salt. Add the Trex and rub it in with your fingers until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
3. Beat the eggs and vanilla extract together. Add them to the mixture with the mashed bananas and apricots. Stir until combined. The mixture should have a soft, dropping consistency. If the mixture is too stiff, stir in 1-2 tbsp of milk.
4. Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin. Bake for 55 mins. To test that the cake is cooked, insert a skewer into the centre. If it comes out clean, it is cooked. If not, bake for a little longer.
5. Stand the cake on a wire rack and cool completely. When cool, remove the lining paper.
6. Beat together the butter, icing sugar and lemon zest. Add the cream cheese. Spread the frosting over the top and decorate with banana chips and chopped apricots.