Jelly babies to the rescue!
Hayley Farren, 27, from Walsall, explains why her 6-year-old is a hero
Aiden used the fingerprick device to test Grandad’s blood sugar
As I pulled into the driveway, my 6-year-old son Aiden was excited.
‘I can’t wait to see Grandad!’ he beamed, blue eyes sparkling.
Every weekend, Aiden would go to stay with his great-grandparents Brian, 72, and Sandra, 70. He called Brian ‘Grandad’.
They adored spending time with him, and it gave me and my partner Wayne, 34, a bit of alone-time.
As Grandad opened the door that Friday evening, this July, Aiden rushed into his arms. After a chat, I headed off. ‘Don’t be too much trouble!’ I told Aiden.
‘He never is,’ Grandad laughed.
Every weekend, he and Grandma would spoil Aiden rotten.
They had a special bond.
Back home, I caught up with all my I am so proud of him! chores before relaxing on the sofa with Wayne.
The following afternoon, Grandad Brian’s name flashed up on my phone.
Odd, I thought.
It wasn’t like him to call me, and we weren’t due to collect Aiden until Sunday evening. ‘Everything OK?’ I asked, picking up the phone. Grandad’s voice was shaky. ‘Earlier on, my blood sugar went low,’ he explained. Grandad suffered with type 2 diabetes, so if his blood sugar levels plummeted suddenly, there was a risk he’d slip into a coma. The whole family knew that if that happened, we’d need to feed him some of the sweets he always kept in the drawer next to his bed. ‘Shall
I come over?’ I panicked. ‘Don’t worry, I’m fine – thanks to Aiden…’ Grandad replied.
He explained how that afternoon, when Grandma was out shopping, he and Aiden had stayed at home.
‘I realised I couldn’t move or speak,’ he said. ‘It happened so quickly, before I knew it I was on the floor.’
But Aiden knew what to do!
‘Aiden managed to go upstairs and got the Jelly Babies from the bedside drawer,’ he told me.
If that wasn’t impressive enough, Aiden had then fetched Grandad’s finger-prick blood-sugar testing kit from his dressing table.
‘He’s seen me use it many times before, so he knew what to do,’ Grandad said, unable to keep the pride out of his voice.
Aiden used the device to test Grandad’s blood-sugar levels, and it had given a dangerously low reading of 1.0.
Then Aiden had gently fed the sweets to Grandad, who was, luckily, still conscious.
I was gobsmacked. While Aiden knows about Grandad’s illness, we’d never told him what he should do in an emergency like this.
Minutes later, Grandad’s levels went back up to 3.6 when Aiden used his fingerprick tester again.
‘If it wasn’t for Aiden, who knows what could have happened..?’ Grandad said solemnly to me.
He’d saved Grandad’s life. ‘You’re such a clever boy!’ I said when we went to collect Aiden a little while later. ‘How did you know what to do?’
‘I know he needs sweets when he gets unwell,’ Aiden said with a shrug.
Now Grandad and Aiden’s bond is even closer. It’s lovely to see.
But it’s scary to think what could have happened.
That’s why I believe children need to know the basics of first-aid training and how to act in emergencies.
Kids really are like sponges – they absorb so much information, and little Aiden is the proof of that.
I’m just so grateful he’s our little lifesaver.
Aiden knows just what Grandad Brian needs!