What’s new, restored or cancelled
Wishing for wings BR601 was an early Mark IX Spitfire, one of a batch sold to the South African Air Force and later scrapped. The scrap yard owner fancied a Spitfire on a pole, but by then BR601’S wings had been disposed of so a fibreglass facsimile pair were made before mounting. Doug Arnold bought it at auction in 1987 but no serious restoration was attempted until 2008. It is now owned by the US Collings Foundation which has sent it to Biggin Hill to be fitted with new-build wings. The aim is to have it flying by this December. Argentine Avro An impressive sight at Goodwood and Sywell last summer was a replica Avro 504K trainer named Olivia and registered LV-X430. Designed by Alliot Verdon-roe, the Avro 504 first flew in 1913 and was not finally retired from the RAF until 1934. The type was licence-built in Argentina from 1928, inspiring Pur Sang Aerohistoric to build two replicas in 2010, the second of which comes here, reregistered as G-EROE. Otherwise authentic, the original Gnome Monosoupape rotary engine is replaced by a Rotec R3600 nine-cylinder radial. It is owned by Eric Verdon-roe, grandson of the designer, under the commemorative company name British Aviation 100. Going Up Just Aircraft SUPERSTOL G-SSXL does exactly what it says on the tin, claiming take-off and landing rolls of less than 100ft. This two-seat high-wing type is a distant relative of the Kitfox, with automatic leading edge slats, high-lift wings and Fowler flaps. To further facilitate off-piste flying, it has enormous tundra tyres and a softly sprung longstroke undercarriage. This, the first British kit to be completed, is being evaluated by the Light Aircraft Association before final type approval.
Evans Volksplane G-BLCW has been withdrawn from use
Avro 504 replica LV-X430 has been imported as G-EROE