‘British Aircraft Manufacturing Company Ltd, Swallow II’. Despite the name the Swallow is really of German lineage, a direct descendant from the Klemm L.25 two-seater of 1927, powered by the 75hp Salmson radial. This motor proved to be very reliable compared to many power plants of the day and this, combined with Klemm’s rugged wooden construction techniques, meant the L.25 soon became a favourite mount for touring. It is no surprise therefore that the merits of these machines were soon recognised in the UK, and between 1929 and 1933 some 27 German Klemms were imported by a Maj E F Stephen. The last two imports were fitted with the British geared 75hp Pobjoy ‘R’ motor which greatly increased their already impressive performance. Encouraged by this, and the already buoyant sales, Maj Stephen acquired the rights to build and set up the British Klemm Aeroplane Company (BK) at Hanworth in 1934. The British version of the L.25 was beefed up to meet UK airworthiness requirements and called the Swallow 1. Some 28 BK Swallows were built at Hanworth and sold for £695 fitted with the Pobjoy. Unable to meet the considerable demand, the Swallow II was introduced Being much more angular than the BK machine, the straight-edged flying surfaces and flat-sided fuselage greatly speeded production without impacting performance. Coincidentally, the company name changed to British Aircraft Manufacturing Company (BA). This new machine made its inaugural public appearance at the Royal Aero Society’s Garden Party at Heathrow in May 1935, selling for £725. BA went on to build another 105 machines before the war stopped everything.