Real Classic - - Letters -

In ‘PUB Talk’ a cou­ple of months ago, men­tion was made about the prob­lem of re­mov­ing cap head screws when the Allen key no longer gripped in the hexagon of the cap head. A way of get­ting them out – which I have used many times – is to use a spe­cial socket which is made by Ir­win for re­mov­ing nor­mal hexagon head screws when the head is dam­aged. They work by hav­ing re­verse, ta­pered splines in the socket to bite into the head of the screw to grip it. Select one of the ap­pro­pri­ate size, ham­mer it onto the head of the Allen screw. It will work just the same and grip the round screw head to undo it.

It never fails as long as there is a gap around the head of the screw of around 2mm. Swede

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.