Late try hands Boro the spoils

Rochdale Observer - - TRAVEL - BRIAN HURST

LIT­TLE­BOR­OUGH kicked off the newlook Lan­cashire County ADM Pre­mier Di­vi­sion with a win on the road at Tyldes­ley.

A closely fought con­test ap­peared des­tined for a draw un­til Liam Lloyd pro­duced a late try, con­verted by Chris Coop, to clinch it for the vis­i­tors.

The home side kicked off with the wind and rain at their backs and the ball was well taken by Stu­art Bairstow. He drove up field and was well sup­ported by Jack Wil­son and Chris Roberts, but at the break down Boro gave away a penalty for hold­ing on.

Kick­ing for touch, the home team won the line out on the Boro 22 and the ball was quickly passed out down the line but the home winger was taken in to touch.

From the line out, Boro drove up field and for the first time looked to go out wide with Adam Wayne mak­ing a break, only to be held up just short of the line. He lost the ball, set­ting the home team to counter at­tack down the left flank.

Fol­low­ing some good tack­ling by the Boro backs, the ball rolled into touch and from the line out Boro won the ball and drove up field.

Boro soon came un­der pres­sure again and gave away a penalty for an high tackle – the kick was missed.

Af­ter half an hour the home side opened the scor­ing with a try out wide, though the kick was missed.

From the restart, Boro drove the ball up field and, fol­low­ing a ruck, Chris Roberts had to leave the field to be taken to hos­pi­tal with what looked like a dis­lo­cated knee.

Young colt Joss Jones came on as a re­place­ment and Boro came back again.

Fol­low­ing good work by the whole pack, Boro won a penalty but this was missed and as the close of the half loomed, Boro were start­ing to get on top. Their pres­sure re­sulted in a try for young prop Matthew McCormick who crashed over for his first se­nior try. Again the kick was missed and at half time it was 5-5.

The sec­ond half was much like the first, with nei­ther team able to get on top. Play moved from end to end and Boro were again strong in de­fence.

The home side gave away a penalty that again was missed, and as the game moved into the last quar­ter Boro brought on sub­sti­tute Coop for Matthew Goldthorpe and cen­tre Ben Park moved up into the back row.

With the clock tick­ing down, the home side gave away a silly penalty and up stepped Coop to slot it over. As the con­test en­tered the fi­nal min­utes, Boro gave away a penalty for not re­leas­ing af­ter a tackle and the re­sult­ing kick made it 8-8.

This would have been a fair re­flec­tion of the con­test, but fol­low­ing a strong drive by Ian Mur­ga­troyd and Stu Bairstow, the ball was shipped out to winger Lolyd who rounded the full­back to score near the cor­ner.

Coop added two points to give Boro the first win in the new Lan­cashire league set up­with the fi­nal score 8-15.

Brian Howard

●●Ac­tion from Lit­tle­bor­ough’s clash at Tyldes­ley at the week­end

Brian Howard

●●Li­ne­out ac­tion from Lit­tle­bor­ough’s clash at Tyldes­ley at the week­end

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.