Glan­ford Park turn­around as Dale hold Iron

Rochdale Observer - - TRAVEL - WWW.ROCHDALEAFC.CO.UK

ROCHDALE came from two goals down to se­cure a 3-3 draw at Scun­thorpe United, ex­tend­ing their un­beaten start away from home in Sky Bet League One.

Keith Hill’s men were be­hind in­side two min­utes through Lee No­vak’s header, be­fore Ryan Col­cough dou­bled the lead 16 min­utes later.

Ol­lie Rath­bone pulled a goal back shortly af­ter the break, but Scun­thorpe dou­bled their lead lit­tle over a minute later through Char­lie Goode.

Rath­bone again halved the deficit mid­way through the sec­ond-half and Matty Gil­lam grabbed an equaliser with six min­utes re­main­ing.

Dale piled on the pres­sure in the re­main­ing min­utes, but couldn’t quite find a dra­matic win­ner.

There were six changes from Tues­day night’s Check­a­trade Tro­phy win over Bury. Joe Rafferty, Calvin An­drew, Cal­lum Camps, Andy Can­non, Ian Hen­der­son and Sam Hart, mak­ing his sec­ond Dale de­but af­ter re­turn­ing on-loan last month, all came into the start­ing line-up.

Matty Gil­lam, scorer against Bury, and Luke Mathe­son, who be­came Dale’s youngest ever debu­tant in the win, were on the sub­sti­tutes’ bench.

The open­ing goal came from the first chance of the game, just two min­utes in. Josh Mor­ris’ free-kick was glanced in at the far post by No­vak to give Scun­thorpe the lead.

Dale re­sponded well and had chances when Rath­bone and An­drew both sent chances wide, the former turn­ing and fir­ing from 20-yards whilst An­drew drove wide when Jak Al­nwick spilt Hart’s cross.

Col­cough dragged a left-foot shot wide of the near post four min­utes be­fore he dou­bled their lead.

A short cor­ner was played to him and he took the ball across the edge of the area, be­fore fir­ing past Mag­nus Norman with his left-foot.

Dale had shouts for a penalty waved away when Can­non was brought down fol­low­ing Hen­der­son’s back-post knock­down, be­fore Gil­lam re­placed Zach Clough, who had been booked ear­lier, just af­ter the half hour mark.

Camps had a low free-kick well saved by Al­nwick from a yard out­side the area, be­fore the Scun­thorpe goal­keeper then bravely blocked ef­forts from Hart and Hen­der­son as the first-half came to a close.

Rath­bone saw an ef­fort turned over the bar five min­utes into the sec­ond-half, be­fore he halved the deficit two min­utes later.

Hart’s free-kick from just out­side the area was beaten away by Al­nwick, but only as far as Rath­bone who turned the re­bound home at the near post.

How­ever, the home side re­stored their two goal cush­ion lit­tle more than a minute later. Mor­ris’ free-kick from the left was met by the stoop­ing head of Goode, who di­rected the ball past Norman.

Aaron Wil­bra­ham re­placed Can­non shortly be­fore the hour mark, as Col­clough saw an ef­fort well held by Dale goal­keeper Norman.

Rath­bone fired an ef­fort off tar­get and saw an­other de­flected be­hind for a cor­ner be­fore he halved Dale’s deficit again.

A cor­ner was cleared as far as the Dale man and he smartly turned onto his left foot be­fore fir­ing a pow­er­ful ef­fort be­yond Al­nwick.

The Dale goalscorer then had an al­most iden­ti­cal ef­fort at goal saved by Al­nwick from the edge of the area, be­fore Rafferty fired a strike well off tar­get.

Col­cough had an ef­fort de­flected over for the home side be­fore Gil­lam also saw an ef­fort blocked be­hind.

James Perch then turned over Col­cough’s cross and Hen­der­son scuffed an ef­fort into the arms of Al­nwick, be­fore Dale grabbed a de­served equaliser.

Camps header for­ward in the mid­dle of the park dropped for Gil­lam who ran at the re­treat­ing Scun­thorpe de­fence, be­fore fir­ing an ef­fort goal­wards which de­flected off a de­fender and looped over Al­nwick into the top cor­ner of the net.

With the sides level, there was only one team that looked like they were go­ing to grab a win­ner, as Dale piled on the pres­sure.

Hart saw an ef­fort de­felcted over the cross­bar, but the best chance fell to sub­sti­tute Wil­bra­ham. Hart did su­perbly to ride a cou­ple of chal­lenges and drive for­ward, be­fore squar­ing a ball which was left for Wil­bra­ham by An­drew, but the ex­pe­ri­enced for­ward fired over from the edge of the area.

Former Dale loa­nee Stephen Humphrys came on for the hosts and fired well off tar­get, as Dale couldn’t find cre­ate a chance in the clos­ing mo­ments that would se­cure all three points.

Si­mon Hall

●●Ol­lie Rath­bone scored a brace

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.