Strug­glers sunk

Rossendale Free Press - - Sport -


RA M S B O T TOM United hosted a strug­gling Glos­sop North End on a sunny Satur­day af­ter­noon at the River­side look­ing to build on last week­end’s su­perb FA Tro­phy win at Traf­ford.

They showed two changes in the start­ing line up from a week ago with Joel Bembo-Leto and Jerome Wright re­plac­ing Luke Thomp­son and Khalil Osi-Efa re­spec­tively.

The vis­i­tors ar­rived with a newly in­stalled man­age­ment team mak­ing their de­but in the dugout along­side the per­haps in­evitable change of per­son­nel with the Glos­sop line up show­ing four new re­cruits in their start­ing eleven.

The con­test started at a fre­netic pace with the away side fully play­ing their part, but the hosts made the break­through just seven min­utes in when Ruben Jerome out­paced the vis­i­tors’ de­fence down the right-hand chan­nel be­fore send­ing a pin­point cross from the by­line onto the head of the un­marked Nialle Rod­ney who made no mis­take from six yards to give the home debu­tant his sec­ond goal in two matches for the Rams and the hosts had the early lead they craved.

With the con­fi­dence of tak­ing the lead so early in the con­test, the home side al­most dou­bled their ad­van­tage when a deep cross found the head of Jerome Wright be­fore the ball fell kindly to Jerome but the striker’s ef­fort hit the up­right as the pres­sure be­gan to mount on the Glos­sop rear­guard.

Min­utes later, re­cent re­cruit Rod­ney showed his skills when a spec­tac­u­lar over­head kick nar­rowly missed the tar­get as the home side started the match very much in the as­cen­dancy.

Glos­sop were forced into an early sub­sti­tu­tion mid­way through the first half when Boyle was re­placed by for­mer Ram Dar­ryl Ma­son, and as the half con­tin­ued the vis­i­tors be­gan to get more of a foothold in the con­test as they looked to im­press their new joint man­agers.

Still, it took un­til just af­ter the half an hour mark for Sam Ash­ton to be tested when a well struck free kick from Thorn­ton was com­fort­ably held by the Rams stop­per.

The home out­fit re­sponded with a swift counter at­tack, but with Jack Higgs in a promis­ing po­si­tion to strike at goal the Rams mid­fielder fell to the ground in­jured.

Sadly, he was un­able to con­tinue and had to be re­placed with Jamie Rother tak­ing to the field.

The re­main­der of the half would be a fairly even, yet watch­able con­test with nei­ther team se­ri­ously test­ing the op­po­si­tions goal keeper and as the first forty five min­utes ended it was the Rams that held a sin­gle goal lead.

With no changes made at the break the home side be­gan the sec­ond pe­riod with some at­tack­ing in­tent and cre­ated a flurry of chances in the early min­utes of the half, firstly a su­perb cross from Kyle Jacobs found the head of the well placed Jerome but the header sailed wide of the tar­get be­fore ef­forts from dis­tance from Ryan El­li­son and Wright failed to test Saun­ders in the Glos­sop goal.

With the hour mark reached and the lead a slen­der one there was still a feel­ing that the Rams would need an­other goal to en­sure the three points stayed in Lan­cashire as Glos­sop pushed for­ward look­ing for an equaliser.

It is worth not­ing that be­fore this game Rams­bot­tom had only kept one clean sheet in the league ●● Nic Evan­geli­nos is de­nied by a point blank save dur­ing Satur­day’s clash against Glos­sop North End this cam­paign so the lead was far from se­cure.

With the match finely poised it was the home side that al­most in­creased their ad­van­tage when an in-swing­ing free kick from the lively Nic Evan­geli­nos

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.