Rossendale Free Press
General Knowledge Quiz
1. Which singer-songwriter recorded the albums The Times They Are A-Changin’ and Blood On The Tracks?
A John Lennon B Johnny Cash C Bob Dylan D Billy Bragg
2. Which French King Louis was called the Sun King?
AX B XVI C XIV D XII
3. The original carpetbaggers were people trying to profit from the disruption after which war?
A The Crimean War
B The First World War C The Balkan War
D The American Civil War
4. In which year of the 1970s was the Suez Canal reopened?
A 1970 B 1975 C 1971 D 1979
5. Which vegetable’s scientific name is Nasturtium officinale?
A Cabbage B Watercress C Lettuce D Onion
6. Which new multi-story romantic comedy film about people who work on weddings stars Diane Keaton and Jeremy Irons?
A The Wedding Planner
B Love, Weddings & Other Disasters C Love Wedding Repeat
D The Wedding Singer
7. Which British artist painted a portrait of Winston Churchill that was destroyed on the instructions of Lady Churchill?
A Richard Mildenhall B Brian Fredericks C Ronald Doon D Graham Sutherland
8. Who wrote Anna of the Five Towns and Clayhanger?
A Adam Bennett B Charles Bennett C Thomas Bennett D Arnold Bennett
9. Which British thriller writer created the characters Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple?
A Colin Dexter
B Sir Arthur Conan Doyle C Richard Phillips D Dame Agatha Christie
10. Which shrub is cultivated for its leaves used as a culinary herb and the oil extracted from its bluish flowers?
A Rosemary B Thyme C Parsley D Sage
11. Which US state includes the cities of San Francisco and Los Angeles?
A California B Arizona C Florida D Daytona
12. Who had a top ten hit single in 1967 with Hey Joe?
A Bob Dylan
B Jimi Hendrix Experience C John Lennon
D Mick Jagger
13. What was the surname of the French emperor Napoleon I?
B Le Roi C Bonnepartrie D Bonaparte
14. Who had a 1962 hit with Right Said Fred?
A The Who
B The Kinks C Bernard Cribbins D Chas and Dave
15. Which British trade unionist was general secretary of the Transport and General Workers’ Union from 1968 to 1978?
A Jack Dromey B Jack Jones C Jack Daniels D Bill Morris