Rossendale Free Press

Pet owners are put on alert over deadly dog virus

- JON MACPHERSON AND PAIGE OLDFIELD freepressn­ews@@menmedia.co.uk @RossFreePr­ess

PET owners are being warned of a virus which can be deadly to dogs after a puppy fell gravely ill after visiting a local beauty spot.

Roisin Reid took her nine- month- old pet Bailey for a walk around Nuttall Park, Ramsbottom, shortly before Christmas.

However when the Shih Tzu- cross stopped eating and started to vomit on Christmas Day alarm bells started to ring.

Roisin decided to rush Bailey to an emergency vet as his conditiond­eteriorate­d.

The pup was given an anti-sickness injection but he continued to grow weaker.

It wasn’t until he visited vets for a second time that his owned learned he had contracted parvovirus.

The highly infectious disease attacks cells in dog’s intestines and stops them from being able to absorb vital nutrients.

Bailey spent days isolating at a veterinary hospital and his devastated owners were unsure whether he would pull through.

Thankfully, the pup responded well to his treatment and was able to return home on December 30.

Roisin, 26, said: “He is still unwell but will survive.

“However, he has to isolate for a good few weeks to ensure he doesn’t spread this virus onto other dogs.

“We are thrilled to say the least, he still has a good way to go to be back to his bouncy self but we are on the right path, thank God. We are one of the lucky ones!”

Parvovirus spreads through direct contact with an infecteddo­gor by indirect contact with a contaminat­ed object.

A dog is exposed to thevirusev­ery timeit sniffs, licks or consumes infectedfa­eces.

Roisin claims there are few other parvovirus­cases within the Ramsbottom and Bury areas.

She continued: “There’s obviously been dogs that aren’t vaccinated and have the virus that have gone to the toilet on the grass in the park or on the road.

“All it would have taken is for Bailey to sniff it and it go in that way.

“Dogs are dogs, they eat grass sometimes, that’s how he could have got it. With coronaviru­s out there, it’s already unsettling knowing it’s a human virus. But to know we’re in a high category area for a dog virus - it’s just horrific.”

 ?? Roisin Reid ?? ●● Bailey thankfully recovered from the deadly virus after visiting Ramsbottom’s Nuttall Park
Roisin Reid ●● Bailey thankfully recovered from the deadly virus after visiting Ramsbottom’s Nuttall Park

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK