Rossendale Free Press
General Knowledge Quiz
1. Who wrote The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe?
A J.R.R. Tolkien
B Lewis Carroll
C J.K. Rowling
D C.S. Lewis
2. In the castle of which West Yorkshire market town did Richard II die?
3. Which US heavy rock band did English-born guitarist Slash join? A Metallica
B Guns N’ Roses
C Dire Straits
D The Offspring
4. Which artificial element is represented by the symbol Es? A Einsteinium
5. What form of rapid writing is associated with Sir Isaac Pitman?
B Joined up writing
6. What is the name of the Detective Chief Inspector played by Roger Allam in Endeavour?
A John Tuesday
B Fred Thursday
C Frank Monday
D Bill Friday
7. Which group of British painters included Dante Gabriel Rossetti, John Everett Millais and William Holman Hunt?
A The Impressionists
B The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood
C The Surrealists
D The Post-Raphaelite Brotherhood
8. Who played the title role in the 1950s TV series Ivanhoe?
A Sean Connery
B Roger Moore
C John Wayne
D Clint Eastwood
9. Which sleep disorder is also called somnambulism?
10. What is the capital of Morocco?
A Casablanca B Rabat
11. Who won the 1996 Solheim Cup?
A Great Britain
12. Which member of the Jackson family released the album The Velvet Rope?
A Michael Jackson
B La Toya Jackson
C Tito Jackson
D Janet Jackson
13. Whose only opera was Fidelio?
14. Who wrote The Murders in the Rue Morgue?
A H P Lovecraft
B Stephen King
C Clive Barker
D Edgar Allan Poe
15. Which hexagonal musical instrument similar to the accordion was invented by Sir Charles Wheatstone?