Rossendale Free Press
CHILLI CON CARNE BURGER
Serves 4, ready in 50 minutes
1kg floury potatoes, cut into chips Low-calorie cooking spray
400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
500g lean beef mince (5% fat or less)
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
4 x 60g wholemeal rolls, halved
280g roasted red peppers in brine from a jar, drained and sliced
100g fat-free natural yogurt
10g fresh coriander, leaves picked
400g bag of mixed-leaf salad
Juice of ½ lime
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/ fan 180°C/gas
6. Spread the chips on a large, non-stick baking tray in a single layer and spray with low-calorie cooking spray. Season and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden, turning halfway.
2. Meanwhile, put the kidney beans in a medium bowl and mash roughly so that some remain whole. Add the mince, garlic powder, spices and oregano. Mix well and season with a pinch of salt.
3. Divide the mixture into four and shape each into a burger. Spray a large, lidded, non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium-high heat. Fry the burgers for three minutes, then flip, add 50ml water to the pan and cover. Steam-fry for three minutes until the water has gone and the burgers are cooked through and juicy.
4. Place a burger on the base of each roll. Top each with some peppers, a dollop of yogurt, and some freshly ground black pepper and coriander leaves, finishing with a roll lid. Divide the salad between 4 plates, dress with the lime juice, and serve with 1 burger per person and the chips.