Ladies’ fight­back just comes up short against divi­sion pace­set­ters

Runcorn & Widnes Weekly News - - In Business -

S’port Coun Ladies Dev 2 Run­corn Lin­nets Ladies 1 LIN­NETS Ladies suf­fered a nar­row de­feat at the hands of the Cheshire Women’s League Premier Divi­sion lead­ers Stock­port County Ladies De­vel­op­ment but they can be proud of their per­for­mance in the sec­ond half.

Two sloppy goals in the first eight min­utes of a game which had been dom­i­nated by the home side be­fore the break proved to be their un­do­ing.

The game be­gan brightly for the vis­i­tors who forced the first cor­ner of the con­test af­ter only 20 sec­onds.

But as on pre­vi­ous vis­its to the Stock­port Sports Vil­lage, the home for­wards twice weaved their way vir­tu­ally un­op­posed through a static Lin­nets rear­guard, and be­fore you could blink, Run­corn were star­ing at a long af­ter­noon.

Although Stock­port had the ma­jor­ity of the shots on goal dur­ing the open­ing pe­riod, you could sense Lin­nets had wo­ken up and were slowly creep­ing back into the game as the half drew to a close.

The re­sults of con­struc­tive half-time ex­changes of opin­ion in the Run­corn dress­ing room were ev­i­dent to see when the sec­ond half re­sumed.

Run­corn were more tiger­ish in the tackle with their phys­i­cally taller op­po­nents.

Becky Barker, Mandy Kennedy and Chelsea Gil­lies worked tire­lessly to win the ball back in the mid­dle of the park.

Run­corn had found a new de­ter­mi­na­tion, which nearly got the bet­ter of them as Barker and Gil­lies ac­ci­den­tally clashed heads, re­duc­ing the vis­i­tors to nine play­ers for a few anx­ious min­utes.

On 58 min­utes, Run­corn sub­sti­tute Mar­cia JonesSacharewicz cap­i­talised on a mis­take in the Stock­port de­fence, de­light­fully chip­ping the goal­keeper to bring Lin­nets back into the game.

This was Lin­nets’ best spell of the en­counter as Gil­lies volleyed inches past a post.

The home side con­tin­ued to shoot at Me­gan Pick­er­ing’s goal but with­out the venom to trou­ble her.

In the 75th minute, Run­corn were de­nied an equaliser as the Stock­port goal­keeper saved bril­liantly from a Gil­lies shot.

Four min­utes later, Stock­port should have sealed the game but the home for­ward blazed high over the cross­bar when open at the far post.

Such was the Lin­nets’ trans­for­ma­tion in the sec­ond half, how­ever, the home side en­dured a ner­vous last 10 min­utes and they could not deny they were the most re­lieved team at the sound of the fi­nal whis­tle. ●

Lin­nets markswoman Mar­cia Jones-Sacharewicz.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.