I found pieces of wire in my dog’s bis­cuits

Runcorn & Widnes Weekly News - - Front Page -

A CON­CERNED pet owner from Widnes has told how she dis­cov­ered pieces of ‘metal or plas­tic’ baked in­side Tesco dog bis­cuits af­ter her pet fell ill.

Paula Hoyle, of Widnes, no­ticed her dog, Saffie, be­came un­well in Sep­tem­ber and took her to the vets.

The vets did not know what was wrong with the nine-yearold Labrador, so put her on an­tibi­otics and al­lowed her home – but she did not re­cover.

It was six days later, how­ever, that Paula’s hus­band, Jon, dis­cov­ered “plas­tic or metal wire” was baked in­side the dog bis­cuits that Saffie eats daily.

The mum-of-one said: “The vet didn’t know what was wrong so Saffie was given some an­tibi­otics, but she wasn’t get­ting any bet­ter.

“Then Jon picked up a bis­cuit bone that she has ev­ery day and saw some thin wire or metal stick­ing out.

“We had still been feed­ing her them while she was ill.”

The box of Tesco’s own brand Bis­cuit Bones was bought at the Widnes store.

Im­me­di­ately, the pair stopped giv­ing Saffie the bis­cuits and said she quickly re­cov­ered – though there’s no ev­i­dence to sug­gest this was the cause.

The mum added that her other dog, a nine-year-old Lurcher named Pip, did not eat any bis­cuits and didn’t ex­pe­ri­ence any sick­ness like Saffie.

Paula re­ported the find­ings to the su­per­mar­ket and was asked to send a prod­uct sam­ple to the man­u­fac­turer.

She said: “I rang the cus­tomer ser­vices at Tesco and was told some­one would be in touch, and a few days later I got a let­ter from the man­u­fac­turer.

“I sent a sam­ple of the bis­cuit to them, as well as all the pho­tos I had.

“I was told, af­ter in­ves­ti­ga­tion, that the ob­ject may have been a brush from a ma­chine but they couldn’t say for cer­tain.”

The case was passed back to Tesco and Paula was of­fered a £20 voucher, which she says she de­clined.

She ex­plained: “I was ● of­fered a £20 voucher, but what about my vet bill?

“I was told if I wanted to claim back costs I would have to get in touch with their le­gal team and prove it was the bis­cuits that caused the ill­ness. “How am I go­ing to do that? “I said I’m not ac­cept­ing the £20 and I will put a post on Face­book as I want to get the word out there for peo­ple to be wary of these bis­cuits.

“I am con­cerned about other dogs who could have eaten this batch.

“I hoped that Tesco would have taken this more se­ri­ously.” ●

The pair is­sued a warn­ing on so­cial me­dia, shared more than 3,000 times.

Paula said this was the first time she had bought these par­tic­u­lar bis­cuits, and hoped this was a rare oc­cur­rence and she was ‘just very un­lucky’.

A Tesco spokesper­son said: “We have pro­ce­dures and qual­ity checks in place to stop this kind of in­ci­dent oc­cur­ring, so we are sorry to hear of this is­sue.

“We’d like to apol­o­gise to Paula for her ex­pe­ri­ence at our store and are in con­tact with her so that we are able to in­ves­ti­gate this is­sue prop­erly.”

Paula Hoyle’s dog SaffieOne of the wires found in the bis­cuits

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.