Man admits role in drive-by shooting
AHOODLUM from Widnes has admitted taking part in a drive-by shooting in Runcorn – but denied being the trigger man.
Sean Anthony Meadows, 29, of Oxford Road, Widnes, appeared at Chester Crown Court on Tuesday, where he pleaded guilty on the day of trial to one count of possessing a firearm, namely a shotgun, with intent to cause fear of violence.
Meadows was charged after a shot was fired at a silver car at the bend between Bridge Street and Heath Road in Runcorn at about 8.25am on Tuesday, June 19.
His plea was on the basis that he was in the shooter’s vehicle when the gun was fired but that he did not pull the trigger.
Brett Williamson, prosecuting, said it was accepted that Meadows had hidden the firearm in Rock Park nearby after the incident. He said the Crown would not contest the plea basis.
His Honour Judge David Hale, presiding, said ‘there was no evidence’ that Meadows was the shooter but that there was evidence he took the shotgun from the car after it had been used and hid it in the park.
The weapon was never found.
Tom Watson, defending, said he would be seeking 10% credit for his client’s guilty plea.
Meadows was remanded into custody to ● be sentenced on a date to be fixed.
The defendant was charged on June 21, two days after the shooting on June 19 when armed police swooped on the junction of Halton Road and Bridge Street.
Armed police at the scene after a shotgun was discharged