Moore dou­ble-up on Pren­ton to kick-off the New Year with a vic­tory

Runcorn & Widnes Weekly News - - In Business -

Pren­ton 17 Moore 34 MOORE started the New Year in much the same vein as they had ended 2018 with an ex­cel­lent vic­tory over fel­low pro­mo­tion-chasers Pren­ton.

The game started some­what pre­dictably fraught, with both sides mak­ing a num­ber of er­rors in the open­ing 20 min­utes as they sought to work the Christ­mas break out of their sys­tems.

It would be 20 min­utes be­fore any im­pres­sion on the score­board was made, with Matt Brad­shaw open­ing the scor­ing with a penalty.

The game sprung into life from that point, with Moore look­ing dan­ger­ous with strong di­rect run­ning driv­ing them up the field.

Sadly for Moore, the off­load game – nor­mally such a crisp and joy­ful thing to watch – re­fused to work, of­ten see­ing at­tacks peter out.

From there Moore switched tac­tics and looked to cor­ral Pren­ton in their own 22m.

Some ex­cel­lent de­fen­sive pres­sure near the Pren­ton line saw a penalty awarded to Moore, which saw Jack Har­vey at­tack the line with gusto to es­tab­lish a 10-0 lead with a con­verted try.

Once again, Moore aimed to play within the Pren­ton 22m, mak­ing ter­rific use of the boot to pin the op­po­si­tion well back.

A penalty for a high tackle fol­low­ing a Moore turnover saw an­other try for the vis­i­tors as Max Hol­land used space well to es­tab­lish a 17-0 lead.

Fol­low­ing a string of penal­ties against them, Moore ended up con­ced­ing near the in­ter­val as the score moved to 17-7 at the mid­way stage.

With re­minders of the re­verse fix­ture from this sea­son, which saw Pren­ton score 42 points in the se­cond half, Moore set out to es­tab­lish con­trol of the game and see the vic­tory out.

And the Black-and-Gold duly scored first in the se­cond pe­riod with su­perb play in the cen­tres cre­at­ing an over­lap which wing Henry Frankling ex­ploited, run­ning in to score from more than half­way.

Pren­ton re-es­tab­lished them­selves thanks to poor dis­ci­pline from Moore.

First, Hol­land was yel­low­carded for in­fringe­ments at the ruck.

From the re­sult­ing penalty, the hosts were able to drive over to re­duce the deficit to 22-12.

A fur­ther yel­low card was bran­dished to Tony Fretwell min­utes later, re­duc­ing Moore to 13 men.

Once again, af­ter a num­ber of penal­ties Moore once again con­ceded with a car­bon copy of Pren­ton’s ear­lier try.

Moore man­aged to rally, how­ever, suc­cess­fully keep­ing Pren­ton out for the du­ra­tion of their re­duced num­bers on the field.

Af­ter re­turn­ing to a full XV, Moore once again set­tled in the driv­ing seat, cre­at­ing a healthy lead thanks to ex­cel­lent, pa­tient work which saw Har­vey once again crash through the Pren­ton line to score.

With a 12-point lead, Moore looked more than com­fort­ably in con­trol of the game and Pren­ton never re­ally looked like get­ting back into the en­counter.

The fi­nal try of the game saw a su­per grub­ber-kick from Hol­land seized upon by team­mate Sam Craven to touch down as the game ended 34-17 to Moore.

The re­sult en­sured Moore main­tain pres­sure on sec­ond­placed Manch­ester II.

Moore travel away again this Satur­day as they visit Car­ring­ton, who were heav­ily de­feated by Lymm Ea­gles 65-21 last week­end.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.