Runcorn & Widnes Weekly News

Six arrests made after tragic death of biker Callum


POLICE investigat­ing a fatal motorbike collision in Runcorn that resulted in the death of a 24-year-old biker have made six arrests.

Enquiries were launched after Callum Ferns, from Runcorn, was taken to Halton Hospital with serious injuries last Thursday following a crash believed to have taken place at Wigg Island at around 7pm.

Land and air ambulances were deployed to the hospital grounds but medics were unable to save the biker, who died a “short time” after his arrival.

In a statement issued on Monday, Cheshire police said officers had arrested five men aged 22, 23, 24 and 29, and one woman aged 21 on suspicion of offences including causing death by dangerous driving and perverting the course of justice.

All have been released under investigat­ion.

Investigat­ors reported an “unusual feature” of the case is that all vehicles and anyone present were removed from the scene of the collision before emergency services attended.

They are keen to hear from anyone who may have seen four off-road motorbikes in the area with riders not wearing helmets prior to the crash.

When the Weekly News attended the scene on Friday morning, several police vehicles remained in the area, with two patrol cars departing Wigg Island at about 9.40am, and an automatic number plate recognitio­n car and underwater search unit wagon remaining parked near a section of taped-off undergrowt­h on an access road running from the main entrance towards the foundation columns of the

Mersey Gateway bridge.

The marine unit, which was parked near the Manchester Ship Canal, left a short time after, at around 10am.

Tributes have poured in online for the deceased, nicknamed by some as “Dingy” and who was remembered as having a “heart of gold” and keen to help others, with many wellwisher­s also expressing their condolence­s to his bereaved family and friends.

Flowers have been left near the scene of the collision.

A Cheshire police spokeswoma­n said the deceased’s family is being supported by specialist officers.

Sergeant Andrew Dennison, of Cheshire Constabula­ry’s serious and complex collision investigat­ion, said: “This has been a fast-moving investigat­ion to establish the circumstan­ces surroundin­g the collision.

“An unusual feature of this collision was that all the vehicles and people had been removed from the scene of the collision prior to the attendance of emergency services.

“As part of our enquiries I am appealing to the public to come forward if they saw four people on motorbikes riding around the Wigg Island area at approximat­ely 6pm.

“They were all riding offroad bikes and not wearing helmets as they entered Wigg Island from Mason Street.

“I am also encouragin­g anyone with informatio­n about the collision, CCTV or dash cam footage to also contact police.”

Anyone with any informatio­n regarding the collision should contact Cheshire Constabula­ry on 101 quoting IML 1054649.

 ?? Andrew Teebay ?? ● Flowers left at Wigg Island following the death of Callum Ferns (right)
Andrew Teebay ● Flowers left at Wigg Island following the death of Callum Ferns (right)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom