Runcorn & Widnes Weekly News

Town down and out of Cup at first hurdle


RUNCORN Town exited the FA Cup at the first hurdle with a 6-1 defeat against Barnoldswi­ck Town at the Silentnigh­t Stadium.

There were two changes from Wednesday night’s win at Litherland REMYCA – Joe Holt and Dale Jennings in for Kieran Holsgrove and Francois Antoine.

Town had a couple of early chances. Ryan Cox dispossess­ed the keeper, but his cross was cleared. Then Dale Jennings’ corner almost crept in at the near post.

Paul Turner opened the scoring for Barnoldswi­ck on 10 minutes, receiving a through ball from Gareth Hill and rounding Adam Reid to score.

It was almost 2-0 midway through the half when a ball into the box found Turner but he smashed a shot against the bar.

Town improved as the half went on. Craig Cairns’ cross found Cox, but he couldn’t get enough power on the shot and the keeper made the save. Kevin Exell also had a header that went wide.

Adam Reid was kept busy towards the end of the half, having to make saves from Alex Ralph, Turner and Ben Ashton. Ralph also hit the post and Gareth Hill was unable to poke in the rebound.

Barnoldswi­ck were ruthless at the start of the second half and 4 goals in 15 minutes put them out of sight.

Two minutes after the break, Brad Knox cut in from the left and was allowed too much space to shoot from 25 yards and his shot squirmed past Reid and into the net.

On 55 minutes Ben Ashton made it 3, exchanging passed with Andy Hill and finishing from just inside the box.

Two minutes later Gareth Hill cut the ball back to Paul Turner who was unmarked 15 yards out and he slotted into the bottom corner.

Then on 59 minutes Andy Hill picked up a loose ball in the box and fired in off the far post.

Town struggled to create much after the break. Cairns’ ball found Owen Dursley in space at the far post, but his shot was over the bar.

Town did pull one back though on 69 minutes. Owen Dursley did well to keep the ball in play, beat his man and find substitute Ben Greenop who fired a lovely strike in off the bar.

But it was the hosts who had the final say with an equally good finish. Andy Hill’s fantastic strike from outside the box finding the top corner.

Adam Reid was kept busy in the Town goal and was called upon to make a few more fine saves. The best when Zack Dale’s cross was met by Ashton, but his header was brilliantl­y pushed over the bar by the Town keeper.

Manager Paul McManus was very disappoint­ed with the result and performanc­e.

He said: “It was a bad day at the office yesterday, too many people underperfo­rmed and we were punished at most opportunit­ies. Hats off to Barnoldswi­ck who took their chances well and were by far the better side on the day, so I would like to wish them well for the next round.

“We will move on quickly from the result as the lads know that was way below the standard we set for ourselves and not acceptable. We look forward to next Saturday which can’t come quick enough to put yesterday behind us and put things right.”

 ??  ?? ● Manager Paul McManus
● Manager Paul McManus

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom