Free fire service check could be a life-saver
Since I last wrote the clocks have now changed and the weather has definitely taken a chilly turn.
It’s looking like we may even be in line for a repeat of last year’s “Beast from the East” so we need to start preparing.
Autumn and winter typically see people spending a lot more time indoors, with additional appliances switched on and more hot meals prepared with the cooker.
Those changes bring increased risks that we should all be aware of.
Thanks to a recent visit from local firefighters I know that my family is safe from common household dangers that can all too easily go unnoticed.
Many people in Cambuslang and Rutherglen may not know that our community’s emergency crews don’t just respond to 999 calls.
They also do a lot of work to keep the area safe by helping people take small steps to prevent fires from starting in the first place. When they came to my house a few weeks ago, the firefighters did some quick checks like making sure our electrical sockets were not overloaded and kitchen items were placed where they won’t pose a danger.
They also chatted to me about what to do in the event of a fire and how to talk to my daughter about dangers without making her too worried.
It’s difficult to explain to children not to panic but also trying to make them aware of what to do if there is a fire in the home.
They also reassured us that our smoke alarm was in the right place and would give us all the early warning we need if a fire ever does occur.
I even got a free one as they suggested that having two would be even safer.
If they come to your home they can upgrade your fire alarm free of charge and they also showed me how to reset it for when I burn the toast, which happens more often than you think – you don’t have to stand there flapping a towel round like crazy!
It’s a great service that is totally free.
If you or someone you know could benefit, just give the fire brigade a call on 0800 0731 999, or text “FIRE” to 80800.
The firefighters that came round were really lovely, I highly recommend the service and can’t thank them enough.
Safety first The home safety checks by the fire service are free