DOGGED BY SERIAL SCANDALS SEPTEMBER 12, 2015
JUNE 7, 2001
– Tom Watson elected as Labour MP for West Bromwich East. In his early years he backs the Iraq War and votes against holding an inquiry into it.
SEPTEMBER 6, 2006
– He resigns as junior defence minister as part of an effort to force Tony Blair from No10 to pave the way for Gordon Brown.
MAY 10, 2009
– Mr Watson has his expenses cut after it is revealed that he claimed £4,800 in a single year on food.
NOVEMBER 10, 2011
– After campaigning to expose phone hacking at the News of the World, he compares Rupert Murdoch’s son James to a mafia boss.
OCTOBER 24, 2012
– He tells the Commons police must investigate a ‘paedophile ring’ protected by Parliament.
JULY 4, 2013
– He resigns as Labour election co-ordinator in a row about a union bid to hijack the selection of a candidate to be MP for Falkirk in Scotland. – Mr Watson is elected Labour deputy leader.
MARCH 25, 2018
– He insists ex-F1 boss Max Mosley, who has given him more than £540,000, is still a friend despite Daily Mail revelations about his racist past.
JULY 11, 2019
– He attacks Labour’s ‘deplorable’ response to anti-Semitism.
– Corbyn supporter Jon Lansman fails to force a vote on whether to axe Mr Watson’s role as deputy leader at Labour conference.
– A report says Mr Watson put pressure on Scotland Yard to investigate false VIP paedophile ring claims.
– Mr Watson announces he is quitting as Labour deputy leader.
Max Mosley is still my friend, says Watson
From the Daily Mail, March 26, 2018
Watson: I’m so sorry for my role in ‘Nick’ scandal
Mail, October 12