I’m so proud of hum­ble he­roes, says boss

Scottish Daily Mail - - New Blitz on Terror - By Glen Keogh and Han­nah Dawson

THE proud boss of heroic cater­ing staff who armed them­selves with a whale tusk and fire ex­tin­guisher to tackle the Lon­don Bridge ter­ror­ist last night de­scribed their ex­tra­or­di­nary brav­ery.

Com­modore toby Wil­liamson, of Fish­mon­gers’ Hall, where us­man Khan be­gan his ram­page dur­ing a pris­oner re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion con­fer­ence on Fri­day, said ‘hum­ble’ staff grabbed any weapons they could to ‘level the play­ing field.’

the former naval of­fi­cer de­scribed how civil­ians turned he­roes to try to dis­arm Khan – de­spite their be­lief that he was armed with a work­ing bomb. As­ton­ish­ing footage showed two men on Lon­don Bridge – one bran­dish­ing an an­tique nar­whal tusk grabbed from the con­fer­ence hall, the other a fire ex­tin­guisher – con­fronting Khan.

Com­modore Wil­liamson said: ‘they took a de­ci­sion that enough was enough, they took any­thing im­me­di­ately to hand to level the odds against a mad man.

‘No one could pre­dict how this was go­ing to hap­pen. Start to fin­ish, two min­utes. But they were de­ter­mined it wasn’t go­ing to go on and they did ex­actly what they had to do, I am proud to know them.

‘they used fire ex­tin­guish­ers, they used chairs, they used these nar­whal tusks ripped off the wall in the heat of the mo­ment and they took the game back to the knife­man.’ Mr Wil­liamson con­firmed that the man who armed him­self with the tusk was a Pol­ish chef work­ing at Fish­mon­gers’ Hall, called Lukasz.

Yes­ter­day it emerged he was be­ing put for­ward for an of­fi­cial hon­our in Poland, ac­knowl­edg­ing his ‘sac­ri­fice and courage’.

Com­modore Wil­liamson also sug­gested that the fire-ex­tin­guisher hero was a mem­ber of the team called Andy. ‘Andy and Lukasz are just two of the most hum­ble peo­ple you would know – they are main­tain­ers, they are porters – and yet in the heat of the mo­ment they do ex­tra­or­di­nary things,’ he said.

An­other civilian who risked his life re­turned to fin­ish his shift washing dishes in a bar nearby just min­utes later. the man, in his 20s and known only as Mo­hammed, helped pin Khan down un­til po­lice ar­rived, his boss told the Sun on Sun­day. ‘He was on his break. He came back af­ter­wards. He didn’t say any­thing, he went back to work, washing dishes.’

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.