Scottish Daily Mail
‘Miracle no one died’ in blaze at cladding block
GRENFELL survivors last night told ministers ‘enough is enough’ after a fire ripped through an East London tower block covered in the same deadly cladding yesterday.
The blaze engulfed three floors of the 19-storey New Providence Wharf development near Canary Wharf, leaving people needing medical treatment.
Terrified residents said it was unacceptable that the cladding had not been replaced almost four years on from the Grenfell fire in June 2017, which claimed 72 lives. A Government spokesman said work had been due to start on Monday.
Leaseholders in the block are paying £ 7,000 a month for a 2 -hour fire patrol that is supposed to raise the alarm in the event of a blaze.
But incredibly, several said they were alerted to the fire only by WhatsApp messages from other residents or people knocking on their doors. Nadim
Ahmad, 3, who lives with his wife and three daughters on the 1 th floor, said: ‘It’s a miracle no one died.’
He said he was alerted only when his wife phoned from outside and screamed for him to get out. ‘There was nothing to tell us to evacuate,’ he said.
The blaze will intensify pressure on ministers to fix the cladding crisis.
Survivors’ group Grenfell United said: ‘When will the Government take this scandal seriously? Enough is enough.’