Lord Ripon and the hammer ejector
Probably the greatest ever devotee of the hammer ejector was Lord Ripon. He was born Frederick Oliver Robinson on january 29, 1852, and upon the death of his father in 1909, succeeded as the 2nd Marquess of Ripon.
In 1885 he married the society beauty of her day, Gladys, Lady Lonsdale. Compared to her somewhat austere husband, Gladys was a leading socialite and in conjunction with a husband renowned as the finest shot in the whole of Great Britain, both husband and wife were in great demand at society functions.
Lord Ripon owned the estate of Studley Royal in Yorkshire comprising around 21,800 acres. He was very conservative in his choice of guns, preferring hammer guns long after hammerless guns came into use.
His guns were all built by Purdey and most were trios. His later guns were trios of hammer ejectors and Lord Ripon probably more than anybody else came to be associated with hammer ejector guns. This goes a long way in explaining the kudos hammer ejectors have today. He would practise with his two loaders having his guns handed to him at full cock in a well-oiled three-man operation.
Lord Ripon shooting with his trio of Purdey hammer ejector guns.